**SOLD** 1981 XS650SH; needs total restoration

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Bottom line up front: I am not going to restore Rusty after all.

After working on the Stratoliner and now Brahma for the last few months, I have to admit that a total restoration is indeed beyond my capability given my location, tools and experience level.

I have a good Virginia title for this ride.
I have a gas cap/ignition and seat lack all keyed together for replacing what is currently there.
I have a new maintenance manual to go with it as well.

And I will help you load it up as it currently does not run (though it ran when parked in 2001 :) ). The engine is free though as are the gears.

When I post this in the wilds of the internet, I will be asking $250. But for you, make me an offer...

20210718a.jpg
20210718b.jpg
20210718c.jpg
20210718d.jpg
20210718e.jpg

Wow, looks like a great project bike for really cheap, for someone with more mechanical aptitude than I, lol.

I'm still in Keller......

Been working on the Triumph Trophy 1200 project. Got the carbs done today.

So the guy selling it tells me that he thinks it needs new spark plugs, because when he hits the starter after it spins for awhile he can smell gasoline from the exhaust, so he's sure it's electrical. That prompts me to order a set of coils from Great Britain, why? Because my 1999 Trophy 1200 wouldn't start and I thought it was the plugs. Turned out one coil was shorted (a problem associated with Lucas, Prince of Darkness) and so the open circuit wouldn't allow the bike to fire. Replaced both coils and it ran just fine.

This gentleman also enlightens me on the 'how' of his acquisition of the bike. He bought it on-line from a seller in New Jersey and had the bike transported to Texas. "Was it running when you bought it?" I queried. "No I was told it probably needed plugs," he responded. So O.K. then, he had no clue as to what was wrong with his bike. Awesome, another Easter Egg hunt for a simple problem. So while I wait for the Royal Mail Service to deliver my goods I decided maybe the carbs could use some attention.

Yup 2 main jets totally blocked and the other two partially blocked, all four intermediates were blocked with red crust. Great. Good thing I ordered a 6 Sigma Jet Kit so I wouldn't have to clean these units, simply replace them. Also found the idle mixture screws were set at the factory to 1.75 turns out, that's not a fabuluos setting if you like starting the bike without any choke. The 6 Sigma instructions recommended an initial setting of 2.5 turns out so that's where I set them. I have the 90 degree tool to adjust those on a running bike so I'm not overly concerned with running a little rich to start, I can lean it out to the correct flame color using my Color Tune.

As to a XS 650 project I've done a number of those over the years. I found the best solution for me was get it running and then sell it at a major loss before I became too attached to the money pit they are. There is nothing so endearing to a rider as a bike's penchant for sucking his wallet dry, and the XS 650 is great at worming it's way into your heart (kinda like a heart worm).

Last edited:
Bottom line up front: I am not going to restore Rusty after all.

After working on the Stratoliner and now Brahma for the last few months, I have to admit that a total restoration is indeed beyond my capability given my location, tools and experience level.

I have a good Virginia title for this ride.
I have a gas cap/ignition and seat lack all keyed together for replacing what is currently there.
I have a new maintenance manual to go with it as well.

And I will help you load it up as it currently does not run (though it ran when parked in 2001 :) ). The engine is free though as are the gears.

When I post this in the wilds of the internet, I will be asking $250. But for you, make me an offer...

20210718a.jpg
20210718b.jpg
20210718c.jpg
20210718d.jpg
20210718e.jpg
Tempting, very tempting...........

I found the best solution for me was get it running and then sell it at a major loss before I became too attached to the money pit they are. There is nothing so endearing to a rider as a bike's penchant for sucking his wallet dry, and the XS 650 is great at worming it's way into your heart (kinda like a heart worm).

Hmm, bike, boat, house…so many things to apply this advice…

Back