So what exactly is the 12 minute tune and why do I need it?

thorin

Owner of Goliath, the giant motorcycle
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
hey all,
seen many references to the above in threads but not sure when to employ this process or why someone might need it. it sounds like it's a built-in factory reset but not sure. i've read that it can help erratic idle speeds and such.
can someone pls explain more about this process is?
thanks!

I’ve been told about this too - sounds like your right.
There is a YouTube vid where the guy does the 12 min ‘self tune / reset’, after some mods. Not sure if this is as good as a dyno tune / individual re map
I know there are some on here that will know though.

A 12 min tune to my knowledge is to help the bike find it's correct idle setting.I believe it is mainly used after adjustment or replacement of tps or stepper motor.Also it has been used by some after down loading a map. I have also heard that if your 02 sensor is disabled the 12 min tune won't have no effect.
I am no expert though only what i have read on this forum whilst doing adjustments to my bike.The correct process is to start bike from cold don't touch throttle wait for fan to engage then let bike run for 12 min. I am sure one of the wiser captains will explain it a lot better and in more detail soon. Are you having idle problems?

Periodic idle “opportunities “ but I’ve been curious about this process for sometime. Was wondering if this is a factory installed program or what.

It is in the manual under engine management adaption. So believe it is factory installed program.

Back