smooth lower end torque

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
Wondering how to achieve smoother lower end torque, I'm lazy at times and don't want to necesarily down shift in slow moving areas of road.

My set up is pretty basic currently, Ram Air, Dave Platt link pipe and stock mufflers. I have tried the TORs but the drone kills my ears even with ear plugs, so back to stock, quieter is better for me.

Also have a PCV with AT and it's doing a nice job, I richened up the tune and things are pretty good.

As I said at times I don't want to down shift at 2k and the engine is a little course in this area in 4th and 5th gears. I can rev at this point but it is somewhat course around 2k.

My question is, will going to an after market header and having it dyno'd, smooth out this 2 k area?

Does the CES longer exhaust path aid any more than say a Paul Bryant header?

Thanks

Hoopla

Are you using the map/gear function in the PCV/AT? - If not then try. Any changes to Stock ECU map?
I'm not using the map/gear function, thought it was only used during a dyno session, am I wrong about this?

I was addvised to use the stock ecu map with the PCV map that I was sent,

thanks

hoopla

It could be a little lean or rich in that spot. Have you tried tweaking the tune in that rpm range?

The map that was sent had the afr at 13.8 all over the 2k area, I incresed the afr to 13.3 in those same areas, did seem to help some, should I move below 13?

thanks

hoopla

any comment about a different header?

It wouldn't hurt to try.

The stock header should be good at low rpms. It's at higher rpms that the header does get restrictive. I know some of the aftermarket headers give better low end torque, but shouldn't be necessary to fix such a small area of the rpm range.

I'm not using the map/gear function, thought it was only used during a dyno session, am I wrong about this?
Yup - that's a misunderstanding!. I know I'm not the only one using this feature.

Use any map you like with the PCV/AT. The PCV will set the fueling up BUT you can adjust other baseline things in the ECU to suit how you ride. Some of these WILL smooth out throttle response at cruising rpms. You will notice a fairly big difference moving the F->L Table switch values away from your cruising speeds.

I'm running leaner than 13.8 at 2000rpms in 5th. I'll bet you're also using far less throttle % than you think most of the time.
Ask HansO for his PCV maps. I based my PCV maps on his. I use a sportier map in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Yup - that's a misunderstanding!. I know I'm not the only one using this feature.

Use any map you like with the PCV/AT. The PCV will set the fueling up BUT you can adjust other baseline things in the ECU to suit how you ride. Some of these WILL smooth out throttle response at cruising rpms. You will notice a fairly big difference moving the F->L Table switch values away from your cruising speeds.

I'm running leaner than 13.8 at 2000rpms in 5th. I'll bet you're also using far less throttle % than you think most of the time.
Ask HansO for his PCV maps. I based my PCV maps on his. I use a sportier map in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Wow, this is a nice thread. I have some specific needs for the low end low velocity portion of the throttle twist.

I try to never run my engine slower than 2000 rpm's. I think it's hard on the engine. Not producing a lot of oil pressure at that rpm I'm guessing. Why load the bearings any more than you have too ? Not sure if I'd listen to me though, mine has $hit its dress twice now :(

Last edited:
I got a noticeable increase in lower rpm torque when I installed Paul Bryant's header on my stock 2013 R3R with RamAir and de-catted stock mufflers. Still haven't found a dyno in my vicinity to verify numbers, but I love the low end grunt. I can plod along in any gear at 2000rpm and accelerate smoothly without downshifting. If I really want to snap out of it though, I can always downshift.;)

Back