Smoking positive battery terminal

HIM57

.040 Over
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic
Hi all,

I have 2008 Classic who's battery was shot. Took a trip down to my local NAPA and this cross checked and came up with a replacement.
Put it on and fired up but withing 90 seconds or so - smoke from the positive terminal and metled the red rubber protector over the terminal - and yes I did have pos to pos and neg to neg.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

hi I would check positive cable between battery and starter sounds like something arcing

I lent my ATV to a mate who then split from. His wife and was trapped in his back yard for the best part of 10 months. :banghead::banghead:

Any way hooked up the old rocket battery that I had changed up ready to pick up ATV and trailer home.

Just put the connections in not really tight and cranked over for a minute or so it half Started. :eek: Gave the + a wriggle and burnt my thumb:thumbsup: so tighten up the lead correctly and after a few minutes it fired right up:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Stupid me should have never lent it to him as the front diff is locked up but did get it home.

Not looking forward to the wife finding out its a bit buggered. Because he left it parked with the 4wd engaged. Hopefully it just needs a hit with a big hammer

Don't let the smoke out, you will never get it back in again.

I keep this around from my days of riding Nortons, originally intended for sports cars but with the right adapters it was usable on the Norton, even better because I could replace the smoke 2 or 3 times on the bike vs the cars.

Smokekit2.jpg

bob

I keep this around from my days of riding Nortons, originally intended for sports cars but with the right adapters it was usable on the Norton, even better because I could replace the smoke 2 or 3 times on the bike vs the cars.

Smokekit2.jpg

bob

We used to make the same joke about our old military radios but...you could only let the smoke out once on those big bastards and they were done for :)

Ahhhh...... the joys of owning a bike with Lucas electrics. My 650 BEEZZZER was no different.

The best anti theft device available in the 50s and 60s..

Lucas_bumperstickers.jpg

Tighten the connections on the positive cable. If those are good, check the positive wire for higher than normal resistance. Loose connections or corroded cables equal high resistance and a resultant heating element.

Hi all,

I have 2008 Classic who's battery was shot. Took a trip down to my local NAPA and this cross checked and came up with a replacement.
Put it on and fired up but withing 90 seconds or so - smoke from the positive terminal and metled the red rubber protector over the terminal - and yes I did have pos to pos and neg to neg.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Heat usually comes from high resistance or excess current draw. Better check your connections again for starters.

Back