Smell of burning rubber

Bladerunner13

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph R3T 2012
Anyone have experience with the smell of burning rubber around the back brake? I noticed the smell the other day and today was the first chance to take it out again. I stopped after about 20 minutes to check for the smell and there it was. I touched the back brake and it was very hot, the front was normal. I don't see any rubber back there except my tire and that's not rubbing or anything. I'm obviously concerned and a little ticked that with our short riding season I may have to take it to the shop where I was told it would sit for up to 2 weeks before anyone can look at it. So.....I was hoping someone might have an idea of what might be going on. Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts out there

Sounds like the caliper may be stuck. I would try pushing the pistons back in and see if it sticks again. If it does you will have to rebuild the caliper, which i haven't done on the rocket, but is generally pretty easy. Any bike shop could do it, don't need to wait on the dealer.

Brake smell is a little different, but if you'd not familiar with it it could smell like rubber. I was working on brakes on my suburban just today and noticed the new pads smelled more like rubber than brakes, but anyway....

I haven't had to mess with my rear caliper, so i don't know how accessible it is, and the bags on the touring will make it worse, but the idea is to take a pair of pliers and squeeze the piston side of the caliper against the pad or the rotor and force the pistons back info their bore a little ways, and unstick the seals. I do this to my front brakes when the lever bottoms out against the grip, and it brings the firm lever back. I think you have the opposite problem and the pads are dragging the rotor. Pushing the pistons back in may not fix it, but it's a place to start.

If that's not it, and you aren't doing burnouts, i can't imagine what it could be.

Brake smell is a little different, but if you'd not familiar with it it could smell like rubber. I was working on brakes on my suburban just today and noticed the new pads smelled more like rubber than brakes, but anyway....

I haven't had to mess with my rear caliper, so i don't know how accessible it is, and the bags on the touring will make it worse, but the idea is to take a pair of pliers and squeeze the piston side of the caliper against the pad or the rotor and force the pistons back info their bore a little ways, and unstick the seals. I do this to my front brakes when the lever bottoms out against the grip, and it brings the firm lever back. I think you have the opposite problem and the pads are dragging the rotor. Pushing the pistons back in may not fix it, but it's a place to start.

If that's not it, and you aren't doing burnouts, i can't imagine what it could be.
If I don't have to take anything apart that sounds easy enough to do. I've already got the quick release bags off so that's not a problem. Thanks, I'll give that a try

Back brakes are SUPER easy, don't even need to remove rear wheel. It's like a 10 minute job to drop pads push the pistons back in, and then go for a ride.

Don't use your rear brake for a bit and stop and verify the smell is gone. If it is gone, cool, you know you have a sticky rear caliper. Rebuilding is very easy and not very expensive, schedule an afternoon and do it your self.

Just ensure your comfortable bleeding brakes, and don't get brake fluid on anything.

Is your bike ABS? If it is, go to the dealer or buy the dealer tool online, it's required to bleed ABS.

Back brakes are SUPER easy, don't even need to remove rear wheel. It's like a 10 minute job to drop pads push the pistons back in, and then go for a ride.

Don't use your rear brake for a bit and stop and verify the smell is gone. If it is gone, cool, you know you have a sticky rear caliper. Rebuilding is very easy and not very expensive, schedule an afternoon and do it your self.

Just ensure your comfortable bleeding brakes, and don't get brake fluid on anything.

Is your bike ABS? If it is, go to the dealer or buy the dealer tool online, it's required to bleed ABS.
Excellent! I shouldn't have to bleed the brakes just doing the pistons correct?

If you are just pushing them back into the calipers, no, you won't need to bleed them.

If it verified you have a sticky piston, then yes, to rebuild it you'll have to remove the caliper, remove the brake lines, remove the piston, wash it out and clean it. Then rebuild with new seals, and re-install, bleed brakes.

Have you set the brake pedal height to suit yourself? this is also very easy to do.

It may be that with boots on you are slightly applying/dragging the brake and don't know/feel it. From factory they are set to a "normal" position but no ones the same. Nearly melted mine this way when I first got the bike many years back.

Also if it is burning rubber not brakes, sure its just not wheel-spin?;):D:D

While you are correct that these actions could be taken, wouldn't it be unusual for a 4-yo bike to have a sticky caliper ?

Back