Small change, big difference

Richard Browne

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Touring and 1968 BSA Bantam...
After buying and riding my Rocket for a while, I finally realise the slice of some of my riding anxiety.

Stopping.

Actually, not stopping, the split second after stopping.

I’m not used to foot boards and getting my feet off of them and around them and down was clearly playing on my mind.

I also realised on my last ride that the heel part of the heel and toe shifter was restricting the space available for my feet on the boards - my riding boots are size 13 and, it transpires, that’s quite a lot of space to find.

Before removing my bike from the lift yesterday, I popped the back part of the shifter off ( I rarely used it) and, revelation! Loads more room for my left foot, I can use different foot positions - even toe-tips on the back of the board.

It was ironic that the boards were meant to be more comfortable, but ended up feeling restrictive and cramped. This simple change has transformed the riding experience and I’m looking forward to a decent length ride to test things out properly.

Not only the riding experience, but also the stopping experience too. Pulled up to a stop and rather than a brief panicy moment getting my feet off the boards and into position, it was an easy slide off the back of the board and because my feet were behind rather than beside the boards, it just felt far more stable.

Possibly the most productive and beneficial 60 seconds spannering ever!

After buying and riding my Rocket for a while, I finally realise the slice of some of my riding anxiety.

Stopping.

Actually, not stopping, the split second after stopping.

I’m not used to foot boards and getting my feet off of them and around them and down was clearly playing on my mind.

I also realised on my last ride that the heel part of the heel and toe shifter was restricting the space available for my feet on the boards - my riding boots are size 13 and, it transpires, that’s quite a lot of space to find.

Before removing my bike from the lift yesterday, I popped the back part of the shifter off ( I rarely used it) and, revelation! Loads more room for my left foot, I can use different foot positions - even toe-tips on the back of the board.

It was ironic that the boards were meant to be more comfortable, but ended up feeling restrictive and cramped. This simple change has transformed the riding experience and I’m looking forward to a decent length ride to test things out properly.

Not only the riding experience, but also the stopping experience too. Pulled up to a stop and rather than a brief panicy moment getting my feet off the boards and into position, it was an easy slide off the back of the board and because my feet were behind rather than beside the boards, it just felt far more stable.

Possibly the most productive and beneficial 60 seconds spannering ever!

First thing I did on mine as well.

Now I find that if I'm riding some twisties, I put my toes on the closest edge of the boards and it's almost like having pegs and, IMHO, gives better control when not cruising

IMG_0712.JPG
First try

IMG_0537.JPG
Second try

I don't heel shift and the heel shifter was interfering with my ability to move my footing around.

Once you have direct leverage on the gear changer instead of the linkage you will wonder why the linkage was ever put there.

To each their own -- have yet to ride a Roadster (any volunteers ?) -- and I find rocking my left boot (remembering ATGATT and reduced flexibility of a booted leg) is far more comfortable than straining to bend my left ankle and even shifting my left hip forward to move to higher number gears.

To each their own -- have yet to ride a Roadster (any volunteers ?) -- and I find rocking my left boot (remembering ATGATT and reduced flexibility of a booted leg) is far more comfortable than straining to bend my left ankle and even shifting my left hip forward to move to lower number gears.

Yeah maan, but you have finesse with the heel. I see people heel punishing their shifters. In my case I needed to be able to place my forefoot on the rear portion of the board. The shifter was on the way. You can ride my TwoTone any day. If you can handle the R3T with a passenger, the R3 will feel like a Sportster.

Back