MadMaxMoto

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3R
Good day all, I recently bought a used 2020 Rocket 3R. Only had 650 miles on it but it looks like the previous owner was some kind of shade tree mechanic and did some funky things to the bike, some of which I didn't notice until after I got it home and had some time to give it a good solid inspection (the deal was too good to pass up, don't come at me lol).

For starters, he installed a cheap aftermarket windscreen, the kind that mounts to the handlebars, and it was rubbing against the front cowl and the tank at full steering lock. I removed that as soon as it came off the trailer. When I did that I noticed the switches on the handlebars were also running into the tank at full lock, so I removed the handlebars and inspected the upper steering assembly. There were loose bolts all over and the handlebars appeared to be crooked. So naturally the next place to look was the riser bolts, and lo and behold they were loose too. I took one out and it looks like they are not the original bolts. I could be wrong, but the reason I believe this is because there were a total of 6 (SIX!) washers below the lower bushings, meaning the bolt was too long to fit and they used the washers as spacers to make it all fit. I have not had time to source the original bolts/assembly yet but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. I have at least adjusted the handlebars up by loosening the upper clamp bolts and raising the bars to a more natural position and now the controls no longer foul the tank.

The next thing he did was add a short bracket at the mount for the license plate/mud guard holder to shift it forward. This is not a big deal as I will remove this assembly and replace it with the tail tidy.

But finally, the sissy bar. When I bought the bike it came with the sissy bar bracket installed, but not the rear cushion to go with it. No big deal, I didn't want the sissy bar to begin with. However, I have been unable to find where I can get the original infills for the rear cowl to replace the sissy bar assembly. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Attachments

• 20230211_133926.jpg
    20230211_133926.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 78
Anyone who has had a sissy bar fitted should have the displaced infills. Owners? Dealers?
That's a good point. I don't know who the original owner was but it shouldn't hurt to reach out to the dealership.

Well unfortunately the original owner cannot be tracked down, something having to do with Texas privacy laws and the bike having been sold to the dealer at auction after the original owner sold it on Rumble On. Any other pointers on where I could track down a set of infills without going through a dealer to buy a new set? Anyone have a set laying around they're not using and is willing to sell?

Have been a few people try and chase down those tabs, they are hard to find and I haven’t seen anyone want to sell them and they are expensive from Triumph. Someone posted in this forum a carbon option awhile ago but will take some searching through the forum to find.

There was a thread with salvaged parts from wrecked bikes in here somewhere. @MadMaxMoto could you post a closeup of how the tail bracket works? Is it solid or does it vibrate at speed? I've seen that once before rotated up to block the rooster tail. Thanks and welcome.

There was a thread with salvaged parts from wrecked bikes in here somewhere. @MadMaxMoto could you post a closeup of how the tail bracket works? Is it solid or does it vibrate at speed? I've seen that once before rotated up to block the rooster tail. Thanks and welcome.
That's great, I'll start searching for that. Thanks! Attached are a few pictures of the bracket, basically just a straight piece of metal with two holes on either end. It feels solid, no vibration from what I can tell. I did notice while my dad was riding this on front of me that when you hit a bump in the road it can partially block the brake light for a split second though.

Attachments

• 20230225_125001.jpg
    20230225_125001.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230225_125011.jpg
    20230225_125011.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 59
That's great, I'll start searching for that. Thanks! Attached are a few pictures of the bracket, basically just a straight piece of metal with two holes on either end. It feels solid, no vibration from what I can tell. I did notice while my dad was riding this on front of me that when you hit a bump in the road it can partially block the brake light for a split second though.
Thanks, it looks like they just cobbled 2 bits of metal together to create an offset.

Back