Kendan

.040 Over
Ride
2015 Rocket III Touring
Hey all. Seemed to run into a bit of an issue here. I purchased a couple of LED signal light bulbs for the rear signal lights (BAU15s), with the intent of using them with a Brake Module which is not installed. (running light, brake light, signal light). I just got the bulbs today, so just wanted to test them first, just to make sure they work. I popped out the stock signal light bulb, and put in the LED. Tried it out, and it worked fine. Even blinked at the correct speed, not the fast blink like I was expecting with an LED. Unfortunately the bulb would not fit with the clear lens cover on so I removed it, put the original bulb back in, and now the rear bulb doesn't work. The front signal light blinks fast tho. The other side, (right side) works fine, front and rear. I tried it a few times, removing the rear bulb, putting it back in, and no go. Rear signal light doesn't work, front one blinks fast. I then tried putting the LED bulb back into the rear socket, and same thing. Doesn't work, and the front one blinks fast.

Sort of at a loss here at the moment. It was getting dark, so I have to leave it till tomorrow anyways.
Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I checked the manual, thought maybe a fuse, but no reference to a signal light fuse. Did I somehow fry something by putting in the LED? It worked fine. Tried it a few times, as I was impressed by its light output.
Thanks all.

Last edited:
The R3T has self-canceling indicators, so adding LED's to it means you need to add load equalizers. Essentially, resistors you connect in parallel to the lights. If there isn't enough load on the circuit the indicators won't work.

The other Rockets have a dedicated relay and you can replace that with a load-independent relay, but they lack the self-cancelling functionality instead.

You can accomplish this a few ways, either by buying two 10 ohm 20-25 watt resistors and arranging for the wiring to connect those yourself (I went that route), or you can buy a ready-made setup that does the same thing.

Motorcycle Load Equalizer - I'm assuming the metric 7.5 ohm universal would do the trick, most likely. Connect the black cable to the negative pole on your battery (or somewhere on the frame) and then connect the other two on the turn indicator wires under the seat using Positap connectors. Specifically, you want the two small white connectors under your right-hand side panel. The wires going into the connectors will be green-white and green-red (I think it was). Attach the Positaps on those wires.

As for the reason it stopped working with your stock bulb, I'd say the overwhelming likelihood is that you broke the stock bulb when you took it out.

And the reason for no fast blink was probably that the old school bulbs up front still gave just barely enough load to keep the indicators blinking.

Since it worked before you changed bulbs and now wont work with either bulb now I would look at socket and see if the wires broke off.

Since it worked before you changed bulbs and now wont work with either bulb now I would look at socket and see if the wires broke off.

And make sure this tab hasn't popped out so that it slides back & doesn't make contact with the bulb tip
IMG_5343.JPG

The wire attaches here
IMG_5344.JPG

Thank you guys for the input. In the end it was just one of the tabs that was slightly out of place and not making contact. Looks like you have to be careful putting in a bulb, cause its somewhat easy to push that one tab out of place.
The info on the load equalizer is helpful, thank you. Turns out the brake module I bought has one included, but sadly the LED bulbs I bought do not fit under the lens cap. They are about 3mm too long. Sad. They are really nice bulbs. Does anyone know by chance, if there is an aftermarket clear lens? Maybe a dome shaped one? I did see one online, but it was a screw in type, so I doubt it'll fit my bike.

I'd recommend getting a different LED. You can fit something that isn't oversize, or you can just go with something completely different - I got some flat 48-led clusters from Custom Dynamics that are very visible, and perfectly clear when not in use so there's no orange tint at all to my indicators at rest.

Motorcycle LED Light Bulbs - the 1.8 inch clusters fit pretty much perfectly, they're about as large around as the reflector, and they go on top of the reflector.

They come in red and amber, but I don't think they have the model that has a stem on it and mounts like any LED lamp in 1156. You could ask. They do have a pigtail model, ie you get the 1156 base you plug in just like you do your current bulbs but on the base is a short pigtail wire to the flat cluster. You have to secure the cluster some other way - either by slathering clear silicone on the reflector and gluing them into place with that or of course you could just let them rattle around in there, I suppose.

I had a look at these clusters you mentioned. They do seem like the way to go, so will be ordering them. You referenced the 1156, but wouldn't the 7507 be the correct bulb with the pins offset at 150 degrees where the 1156 i believe are at 180?

Thank you for the reply.
Hmmm, maybe Triumph has changed the socket design. Mine is 2015 and the pins for the signal lights are 150 degrees offset. I had ordered BAU15s bulbs and I believe they are also known as 1156PY. (And 7507)
As well, the bulbs you referenced look nice, but they still will be just a tiny bit too long to fit under my lens cap. The ones I had ordered were 1.93" in length and were about .5" too long to fit. A dome shaped lens would solve the problem but can't find, so likely something Triumph has changed along the way. I think the clusters as @cr0ft had mentioned would be the only option in terms of length. Mildly annoying as the bulbs I originally purchased are very decent bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back