Side panel blowing off.

Erico

Standard Bore
Ride
2010 Rocket 3 Touring
Good day to all, I have a 2010 Rocker 3 Touring. Twice my right side panel has blown off. I retrieved it the first time with only minor scratches. I renewed the rubber grommets and it was a good tight fit.... but it has blown off again and was destroyed by following traffic. I think the right side gets much hotter than the left side because of the heat from the exhaust manifold blowing backwards directly onto and into the side panel area, softening the retaining grommets. I admit that it only came off at around 100 mph. Both side panels are now secured with a small cable tie after drilling them near the forward top mounting lug. Has any one had the same problem ?? PS. I scoured the world for a replacement panel and found a new one....£159.99p to you sir !!! Why so expensive ?? Regards to all. Erico

Last edited:
Never had an issue on my 2010, been way over 100 mph, just lucky, I guess? Pretty hard to remove mine, actually, odd.

I’ve had to replace my right side also. My problem was the the panel connector. The portion that plugs into the frame cracked and made for a bad fit. I’m curious how a cable tie is connected?

I've been fortunate to only have the rubber grommets pop out when putting the covers back on. I've use black silicone to help secure the grommets and zip tied the covers as well. So far so good.

@Chip I just drilled a small hole and secured it around the frame.
-MIG

Attachments

• Fiona_Right_Cover.jpg
    Fiona_Right_Cover.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 28
You can also replace the grommets with some from O'reilly's right off the shelf, only difference being that the ones I got are round and slightly harder rubber, and make for a tighter fit that holds the panels on a little better.

I'd also mention that the grommets I bought are generic parts, so they aren't specific to the bike.

Previous owner had to replace a side panel on my '08 Touring. I asked him why one panel had a nice Triumph chrome trim piece on the panel but it was missing on the other side panel. Yup, got sucked off somewhere in West Virginia. and he had to get a new one. Of course that chrome trim piece is nowhere to be found or purchased and now I am forced to stay in the far right lane and only make right hand turns so no one can see my naked right side panel without the awesome chrome trim piece. ;) I drilled and safety wired the panels for peace of mind. At 100 plus mph have not lost a panel or had one hanging....yet.

I've been fortunate to only have the rubber grommets pop out when putting the covers back on. I've use black silicone to help secure the grommets and zip tied the covers as well. So far so good.

@Chip I just drilled a small hole and secured it around the frame.
-MIG
Nearly what I did. I siliconed the grommets in but I use two zip ties. One around the frame and the other through that one so I have enough slack to place the side panel on the extended passenger food board if I need to remove it for any reason rather than totally take off..

bob

I remember when the Tail Hook scandal broke ( NAVY mind you), my colonel grabbed me and said, "You come up with a program, immediately, mandatory participation for all, so that doesn't happen here !" Best to learn from others' mistakes.

I was fortunate when lurking around before buying my Touring way back when, there was a beautiful thread by @cr0ft (hasn't been around for a while) where he talked about the design flaw, and the drill and zip tie mod - that was the first thing I did.

I don't recall ever coming to a stop somewhere and noticed it saved me. Maybe doing the mod is like carrying an umbrella, hoping the act will be a talisman to avoid the rain.

So far so good.

I remember when the Tail Hook scandal broke ( NAVY mind you), my colonel grabbed me and said, "You come up with a program, immediately, mandatory participation for all, so that doesn't happen here !" Best to learn from others' mistakes.

I was fortunate when lurking around before buying my Touring way back when, there was a beautiful thread by @cr0ft (hasn't been around for a while) where he talked about the design flaw, and the drill and zip tie mod - that was the first thing I did.

I don't recall ever coming to a stop somewhere and noticed it saved me. Maybe doing the mod is like carrying an umbrella, hoping the act will be a talisman to avoid the rain.

So far so good.
Ahhh, Tailhook was blown out of proportion. I just happened to be an enlisted crew member (C2s) that was there. Those nannies wold have had a case of the vapors just spending one night with me while we prowled Olongapo and Subic City. ;)

bob

Back