Side cover blew off...history

ski

Hog Smogger
Ride
'14 Rocket III Touring
Brand spanking new Touring. It was finally cool enough, 45 degrees, to start putting some miles on her. About 3-5 miles into my ride I heard something kinda click. Looked in the rear view and didn't see anything. Didn't think anything of it. When I got to the first stop sign, put my foot down and felt the right rear floor board was down. "That was the click I heard" I pondered to myself. Kicked up the board and went on my way. When I returned home about 42 miles later I noticed the side cover missing. Re-rode the route and could not find it. I called the dealer the next day and explained the above story. He wanted to hem and haw and asked me If maybe I bumped it throwing my leg over it. I assured him I know how to mount a motorcycle and in the end he agreed to cover the cover. So...I have read quit a bit on these forums but didn't see where this side cover mounting was a problem. I took the left cover off and did notice it comes off rather easy. I assumed it was a dealer issue and won't be a problem in the future. Is there an issue with these covers? Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again? I'm quite sure that if this happens again I will be forking over the doe to replace it.

Assuming the new ones are the same as my old 08, the problem arises when one of the rubber grommets that hold the cover on comes out of its keeper while installing or removing the cover. I had a problem once with my old touring, after that I always checked em twice and never had another problem, perhaps siliconing the grommet into the keeper will help.

Second "my cover vanished" thread I've seen in a while - time to do some work on the rubber grommets on mine, I think, before it happens to me.

This has also come up several times before. Touring side covers clip on (and the seat bolts on) - the reverse of the other Rockets. Defies logic. I lift my seat 1000 times more often than I remove a side cover. Same genius who decreed everyone wanted the foot pegs moved back/in the same, fixed position no doubt.

Second "my cover vanished" thread I've seen in a while - time to do some work on the rubber grommets on mine, I think, before it happens to me.
I looked at grommets today at Napa. Didn't know if i should get the 3/4 or the 5/8ths. will measure the tab on the cover and do what you did. Thanks!!!

This has also come up several times before. Touring side covers clip on (and the seat bolts on) - the reverse of the other Rockets. Defies logic. I lift my seat 1000 times more often than I remove a side cover. Same genius who decreed everyone wanted the foot pegs moved back/in the same, fixed position no doubt.

Richard .. I/we implore you to let go of the 'foot peg placement issue' .. heartburn , hives and peptic ulcers ... and rapid hair loss await otherwise ...hahahaha

And aren't they fantastic back where footpegs should be. :D:DThat was the one thing that nearly stopped me buying a Harley Softail and annoyed me for the 20 years I rode it. Sore leg muscles from holding your legs on the pegs on long rides. Ocky strapping my knees to the tank would have helped I often thought about it. Sorry for taking this off topic I have a Roadster with the side covers bolted on with a 10ml and an 8ml bolt now that defies logic Richard. Why couldn't they both have a 10ml head on them and while I'm on the job why couldn't the 5ml head on the screw that locks the radiator cap have a screwdriver slot in it? Sorry off topic again.

Last edited:
And aren't they fantastic back where footpegs should be. :D:DThat was the one thing that nearly stopped me buying a Harley Softail and annoyed me for the 20 years I rode it. Sore leg muscles from holding your legs on the pegs on long rides. Ocky strapping my knees to the tank would have helped I often thought about it. Sorry for taking this off topic I have a Roadster with the side covers bolted on with a 10ml and an 8ml bolt now that defies logic Richard. Why couldn't they both have a 10ml head on them and while I'm on the job why couldn't the 5ml head on the screw that locks the radiator cap have a screwdriver slot in it? Sorry off topic again.
My side covers have 2 each 8mm bolt heads on the 2014 they must have listened...

Back