Shorty Performance Exhaust

doglanta

.020 Over
Shorty Performance Exhaust Cutom Map & Dyno Results

One of my projects before prime riding weather gets here was to get new exhausts on both of my bikes. I finished last week with my Speed Triple and then this past weekend I finished my Rocket.

The shorty exhaust on my Rocket was a little (lot) pricey but I really like the way it looks and sounds. I also was able to shed a lot of weight by replacing the TOR three pipe system. It is loud but in a good way. And as loud as it is I still don't think it is too loud. I am running it without the small baffles in either pipe too. I think I am going to ask a friend to drive it past me a few times so I can get a better perspective on the sound.

Although the supplier of the shorty exhaust says that no special map is required I loaded a few different ones and have settled on the TOR, without catalyst, full power and speedo corrected. Even though on my test rides I think the bike feels great I still plan on contacting Power-Tripp in Birmingham to really set it up properly. I do get minor pops on deceleration. Not too bad, but I will see about getting rid of it when I have it tuned.

Today in Atlanta it was almost 70 degrees this afternoon. It was only 30 degrees in the morning but the afternoon was fantastic riding weather. I wimped out riding to work this morning because it was too cold.

The other good news is that today I was cleared to ride again by the surgeon who fused together five of the seven vertebrae in my neck right before Christmas. Three titanium rods and twelve screws now hold my neck bones together and it would have really sucked if after all that he would not have cleared me to ride again. Plus I have spent a lot of money over the last few months on both bikes and new riding gear. Unfortunately I bought all new hockey gear last fall and there is now way that I will get cleared to play again.

I will upload some pictures.
Link Removed Link Removed

Last edited:
i'm liking the shorty exhaust more and more
saves weight, and looks great

doglanta, those exhaust looks good how do they sound?
I really like those side bags, I remember you said you found them on ebay.
I have been looking and still can't find them, what kind of bike are they off of? perhapes I can find them that way.
How much did you pay?
How much room do they have inside? Do they have just has much as the corbins?
Do you have a picture of your bike from the back end?

saddlebags and exhaust

It's been a few years but I think I did find them on eBay. The seller was about an hour north of me, he was a tech at a Honda dealership. They dealership was cleaning out an old room and there were six sets or so of these still in their boxes. The service manager just gave them to this tech. I can't remember exactly how much I paid, maybe around $150? I know he had sold the rest for a bunch more money each fromwhat he told me. The saddlebags are about a medium size. I can't remember seeing the Beetle Bags inside so I can't compare them in size. They came with two flatter style red reflector cups in each bag. I found some cone shaped LED lights the same size so now I have working red tail lights and amber turn signal lights. I am guessing they are from the late 1950's to early 1960's. Here is an advertisement I found for them which mentions a new 1959 Buco Catalog.

Link Removed

I really like the sound of the exhaust. Deep and mean sounding, not to mention acceptably loud. I am running them without the baffles too. I think I remember reading the baffles lower the decibels by 15-20 when left in. I do not think it is too loud but like I think I mentioned before I really need to let someone else take it for a spin while I just stand there and listen. I have not had a chance to ride for too long since the exhaust install, just a few short test drives, but I am very happy with the sound so far. It works out to be about 11 dollars per decibel...lol.

I really do not think foot heat will be an issue, not at all.

Wayne from Power-Tripp Performance emailed me today in response to my inquiry and I will give him a call tomorrow to make a tuning appointment with him. He is about 2.5 hours from me but I have to do this on a Saturday. I can't do it this Saturday but I am thinking of trying to set something up for the one after that. I will make sure I post the results.

Appointment made for custom mapping & dyno

I just talked to Wayne at Power-Tripp in Birmingham, and made an appointment for a week from this Saturday (3/20) to take my bike over for him to tune & dyno. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ken

doglanta thanks if you do come across them for sale please send me a post.
That back trunk you have that looks nice does it have hinges that will open? looks like there is a lock.
It looks like a soft bag underneith and a hard shell just lifts off? Where did you get that from?does the front acked as your back rest?
The side bags is it possible to have them mounted right on the fender mounts so its closer the the side of the back fenders?

That top bag is a Givi Speed Pack. I do not believe they are sold anymore. It is lockable and the soft part underneat is actually where you can expand it up to make it even bigger. I took mine off because I just bought a touring seat with a driver backrest. I am not sure I am going to put it back on. I also have a green one and a red one that I bought on eBay just because I got a good price. I thought about putting the green one on my green Speed Triple but it really is too big for the Triple. The red one is on my son's Buell. I turns into a backpack too. As for the saddlebags I did see a set on eBay but that was about a year ago. I check parts and accessories for my Triumphs on eBay all the time and I have only see these saddlebags on there that one time other than a few years ago when I found mine.
DOGLANTA (Ken)

Custom Tune and Dyno Results

Hi,
I spent a few hours with Wayne Tripp yesterday at his shop outside of Birmingham, Alabama. I have to compliment Wayne on his expertise and desire to make sure the bike is right and that the bike owner is happy.

I decided to have Wayne after replacing my exhaust with a relatively unknown system. I really ike the looks of this exhaust and the sound is loud and mean. The maker of the system says that a remapping is not needed but I wanted to make sure the bike was set up as perfectly as it could be which meant having a custom map made specifically for my bike, exhaust & filter. I have a KN under seat air filter and the Shorty Performance Exhaust. I do not have any other performance modifications.

Prior to the custom map I had loaded the TuneBoy the 20550 TORs with cat bypass and the bike had run well. I was getting about 33 MPG at highway speeds with this tune. Wane had determined that this tune was pretty close in the lower RPM's but was lean at higher RPM's. He made many runs and many small adjustments to get it to where he wanted it. No doubt about it, Wayne is very thorough. I was there at his dyno watching the entire process which I appreciated. Because the initial map I had loaded was close in some areas the custom tune only took about an hour and a half.

After returning home I decided I wanted to make a slight change in the idle and gave Wayne a call. He was nice enough to make the change for me and email me the updated map. I took the bike for a spin this morning and am very happy.

My goal was not to increase HP but to instead make sure the bike was running to its peak ability. If that increased HP then great. I have peace of mind now that my motorcycle is set up properly for my exhaust and air intake. Mission accomplished, money well spent

Link Removed

Back