Yachmoo

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket III
so I was bored this past week. I removed my rear tire to get it changed. While I was doing that I removed the three exhaust pipes. Then I wanted to hear how it would sound. It sounded pretty good. so are there side effects from running without those exhaust pipes? I'd like to get three custome shorty pipes to run off the cat and call it good but I dont want to damage anything either? I've seen the shorty exhaust offered by newr3 New Triumph Rocket III Parts and Accessories @ newr3.com and they say you dont even have to make changes to the ecu. so, what does the r3 crowd think?

Thanks,

Adam

You will get some popping on decel which is cause by a lean condition at closed throttle. A Tuneboy or PCIII would help. Both would also help maximize any performance gains that could be gained by modifying the exhaust (more so tuneboy).

My R3 has had slight decel popping since I took delivery of it when new. Slight popping is common with most bikes, regardless of make or model. My Hondas and Suzuki have the same minor popping on deceleration. It doesn't bother me. You can get rid of it with a fuel manager but then you'll probably be running slightly rich.
I wanted a bit more sound from my Rocket 3 so I installed TOR "off road" mufflers and retained the stock catalytic converter. I like the sound I get now but I'm sure it's not loud enough for some others here. I did the "12 minute tune" afterward and nothing more. Decel popping is unchanged from stock. I imagine a Tune Boy would pull a few more horse power but I'm satisfied with the sound and performance I have, ... At least for now anyway ;) I like the fact I can probably pass for stock in most inspections. Who knows what degree of regulation controls lie ahead, especially in Calif. where I am. It's all of a 15 minute job to switch back to stock mufflers if necessary.
With all the problems created by riders with drag pipes and no baffles, many areas of the country are cracking down on modified exhausts. :(

Back