I have gone with 12" progressives, but I have a Metz on the rear. At first I had the standard springs and just myself at 205 pounds, I didn't have a problem and they worked great, but with the wife on, it would bottom out going over the curb at the end of the driveway. And that was with them being cranked all the way down. I have switched them out for 12" heavy duty springs and haven't had that problem. However, when I am riding solo other than being lower, they pretty much feel the same as the stock set up.

Not sure on the tire clearance issue, I think you would be OK otherwise with 11.5" heavy duty. For me it was a noticable difference in ride height just dropping 1/2 in.

So from what I have read in the threads I have pulled up . . . for folks my size . . . 260 . . and with the wifey riding with me most of the time at about 170'ish the progressive 440's really arent going to do that much over the stock shocks and it may actually be better just to keep the stock ones . . .

PLUS . . when we travel we pull the trailer (with the cooler:D) so that puts more weight on the back. Opinions??

So from what I have read in the threads I have pulled up . . . for folks my size . . . 260 . . and with the wifey riding with me most of the time at about 170'ish the progressive 440's really arent going to do that much over the stock shocks and it may actually be better just to keep the stock ones . . .

PLUS . . when we travel we pull the trailer (with the cooler:D) so that puts more weight on the back. Opinions??

The stock shocks are very hard but with all that weight, they should move. How are they over bumps? The other issue is dampening. I have no idea how the stock shocks handle it. It certainly isn't ,manually adjustable. Dampening adjustment on the 440's is automatic and manual on the 418's.

Progressive recommends the heavy duty springs for riders over 200 lbs or with passengers 50% time or more. I may just be on the bubble that I don't weigh enough to get the HD's to move riding solo however, with a passenger I am too heavy for standard springs (at the 12" length.)

You might call or email Progressive and see what they recommend. But I bet it won't be a lower length.

My wife and I will pretty much match your configuration (you, wife and trailer).

I ended up going back to the stock Triumph shocks and have been happy with them. The short Icons would bottom out on the darkside tire without much difficulty. My 2c

Really . . . I havent got any complaints on how they ride I guess . . but then again I dont have much to compare it to. My list of past bikes is . .

3 Hardtail Triumphs
57 pre-unit 650
750 Bonnie - oil frame
Hardtail Sportster
82 Sportster
82 FXRS
80 FLH
89 Sportster
2002 Midnight Star
Rocket III

Probably a few more thrown in there from time to time but for the most part . . none of them were GREAT riding bikes as far as shocks go. FLH and the Rocket have been about the best.

I was just thinking about boosting the comfort levels over the winter. I've ordered a Russell Day Long seat and was going to upgrade the shocks . . . that is, if they made a difference. I dont want to spend the bucks on shocks if they arent going to be all that noticeable.

Back