Shocks (Asking more)

Reaper948

.040 Over
Ive read the 'shocks??' thread just now, however, Im still not sure on which one should be purchased from the Progressive line. I'm taking turns at around 60-70 and the rear is JUMPING up and down on NJ highways. I've managed to scrape down whats left of the bottom of the pegs.

I'm 6'5 250 lbs.

440 with a .5 in increase? Should I go HD even though I ride solo? Would an inch decrease greatly affect my lean angle?

Does it make sense to get the HD because they'd be stronger/stiffer and better for when I'm tearing the turns up? I'm not sure about it --

With any shock, getting the valving and spring for your weight is the primary goal.
Next you need to be able to adjust preload - the hight of the bike with and without you on it, as well as the spring loading in a normal condition (sag) - not hitting bumps. After that, going for adjustability of damping is the next step. Being able to adjust compression and rebound for different uses has its benefits. These adjustments differ for cruising on the highway and hitting twistier roads.

The above are what differ between different levels of shocks - even from the same manufacturer.

I'm 5'11" and 225lbs. I installed 13" Prog 440 HDs and could not be happier. The stock shocks are absolute crap and the bike is re-invented with the 440s. No longer am I bounced out of the seat and no wollowing in the corners. I went with 13" as I didn't want to give up any cornering clearance. This is my first cruiser and all my friends are still on sportbikes and standards so I wanted to stay with them the best I can.

I'm lovin the 440s!

Ive read the 'shocks??' thread just now, however, Im still not sure on which one should be purchased from the Progressive line. I'm taking turns at around 60-70 and the rear is JUMPING up and down on NJ highways. I've managed to scrape down whats left of the bottom of the pegs.

I'm 6'5 250 lbs.

440 with a .5 in increase? Should I go HD even though I ride solo? Would an inch decrease greatly affect my lean angle?

Does it make sense to get the HD because they'd be stronger/stiffer and better for when I'm tearing the turns up? I'm not sure about it --
Sounds to me like you've done a very good job of doing your homework, I think you have made your best choice right there.

Installed the standard 440's today, WOW what a difference. The bike "cushes" over bumps that before would have bounced my butt out of the seat. I'll be taking it to work via 95 tomorrow and am dying to see how it does on the rough curves at 90.
I got the front fork springs too, Looks like I'll need more than two hands to install them. The front end feels way too firm with the new rear shocks, bumps feel like a "jolt" right into my arms.
I've made the special tool keeper out of sheet steel but don't have the special tool that compresses the shim to remove the springs. I'll probably be using socket extensions through the holes in the shim unless anyone has a better solution. Gonna have the wife give me a hand inserting and removing the keeper since I can't do both.
The shocks and springs were not cheap, but so far I think they were well worth the investment. Let you know how the springs feel once they are installed.

*I know I said that I was going to wait until spring to do it but my ars talked me into doing it now. I had to agree.

Yea, I'm saving up for those as well. Louisiana roads will knock fillings loose and create internal combustion if you eat beans.
What size 12.5" ? Isn't that stock size ?
Where is the best place to order ? $$$
Internal combustion with monkey butt makes white clouds down the road.

Yea, I'm saving up for those as well. Louisiana roads will knock fillings loose and create internal combustion if you eat beans.

Go read my reply on the fork thread for some insight.

Yeah, the stock size is 12.5 and you can raise or lower the bike with different lengths. I didn't get the HD shocks since I wanted the softer ride, a touring or loaded down bike would probably be better off with heavy duty. I suppose it's all in your preferences.
I ordered them through Summit Racing since the price was decent and they were dropped shipped straight from Progressive. Most other places couldn't guarantee I'd have them before the 12th, Summit did so I went with them. Plus I've dealt with them in the past and they have a good return policy in case the standard shocks weren't going to hold up the bike. It was a little over $600 for both front and rear.
I also got the front springs installed and am very happy with the results. Took the jolts out of the front over bumps. The combination feels like a Caddy rather than a dump truck.

Back