Shim down the shaft...

dutch

.040 Over
Ride
R3T, FXR
Just removed 2 shims and one went down the chain shaft.
Any ideas about the easiest way to get it back?

About the only thing I can think of apart from pulling the front cover off, is a very slim magnet on a flexible shaft.... And a lot of luck.

a20cbbd09d36b01812e7535cda01273ab3225b40.jpg

Just removed 2 shims and one went down the chain shaft.
Any ideas about the easiest way to get it back?
By main shaft do you mean the front case area? Id so you can scope it find the location then if your scope has a magnet you can go retrieve it. This also works if the engine is upside down and while assembly you fumble the crankshaft key and drop it . No need to ask I'm a expert :D

By main shaft do you mean the front case area? Id so you can scope it find the location then if your scope has a magnet you can go retrieve it. This also works if the engine is upside down and while assembly you fumble the crankshaft key and drop it . No need to ask I'm a expert :D
Yes. The front case area. Valve shim dropped while I tried to remove it from the intake of cylinder 1.
Can the item go lower in the case than inspection plug level?

If you remove the crank timing plug, you might be able to see the dropped shim. There is a cavity that goes back to the oil pump. It’s on the same plane as the water pump shaft as they are driven together.

Good luck?

Yes, I'd agree if you do not have a scope, remove the inspection plug and maybe you'll see it. With a scope it's easy. I've used the scope to set the timing on a blower bike. Have pictures of the bottom of the crankshaft. One of the better life saving tools from harbor freight :) when I dropped the key I went for a look see first.
Once I spotted the bugger I put the magnetic tip on the camera and went back in and snatched it out of there slowly. I think if you flop the bike on the left side it will drop down into the sump pan section. Clutch cover gasket is 12 bucks or so. Since you're not doing the clutch I'd say 1.5 to 2 hours. And it never happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back