Shifts like a tractor....fixed!

Jvheli

Nitrous
Ride
2016 Rocket Roadster
ive finally fixed my Rockets horribly clunky shifting!

So after several clutch adjustments, and a trip to the dealer for them to adjust it, I've finally got a smooth as butter shifting Rocket!
What pointed me in the right direction is a post by ("Warp 9.9). Thanks dude!

Simple as this:
1. Loosen the cable at the clutch lever
2. Adjust previously loosened cable adjuster til there is (by hand) a tiny bit of free play in the crank at the engine. The key here is the crank MUST NOT have tension on it or it will shift like crap and probably lead to some premature wear.

That's good news. Mine has the clunkiest gear shift I've ever experienced on a bike. Will play around with it now I have an idea what to do. :)

So after several clutch adjustments, and a trip to the dealer for them to adjust it, I've finally got a smooth as butter shifting Rocket!

Simple as this:
2. Adjust previously loosened cable adjuster til there is (by hand) a tiny bit of free play in the crank at the engine. The key here is the crank MUST NOT have tension on it or it will shift like crap and probably lead to some premature wear.

The manual recommends 2-3 mm of slack at the lever. Did you find that 2-3 mm slack at the lever doesn't correspond to sufficient freeplay at the crank?

Went out and adjusted mine to where the crank lever near the body of the engine has a slight free play moving my hand. Took it for a test drive would have to say I like it. Seems to be not as nosy when shifting. I have the 3 mm slack now for sure. Before I adjusted I it had 2 mm of slack with no play at the crank. Now I have 3 mm of slack with play at the crank. I will fine tune it more than likely to see if I can make it even better.

Simple as this:

So are you saying to just putt some slack in the motor side of the clutch cable???

I set my free play by the gap in the cable sheath.right at the adjusting Ferrell.

No pressuer on the lever at all.

2011_0830_052041.jpg
the I pull on the sheath and set the right free play (gap)

2011_0830_052130.jpg

Simple as this:
2. Adjust previously loosened cable adjuster til there is (by hand) a tiny bit of free play in the crank at the engine. The key here is the crank MUST NOT have tension on it or it will shift like crap and probably lead to some premature wear.[/QUOTE
I set my free play by the gap in the cable sheath.right at the adjusting Ferrell.

No pressuer on the lever at all.

2011_0830_052041.jpg
the I pull on the sheath and set the right free play (gap)

2011_0830_052130.jpg
thanks for the pics

Back