Oldwarrior

08 Touring
Ride
08 Rocket iii touring
Started with noise coming from the engine at first I thought it was my fan coming on. (not it) I noticed it was happening while I was using the clutch in the lower gears 1-3 it's really hard to shift have to hammer on it some times. I did a engine flush and changed the oil, seems to be worse. Clutch isn't slipping at all. Bike wants to move forward even with the clutch lever engaged. 47K miles on her. Before I open her what parts am I looking at?

Check free play adjustment 2 to 3 mm sounds like yours is 5 mm so your not really freeing it up. It would grind some to again everthing is still moving while your shifting. If free play id right and since you have the earlier style lifter piece my bet is worn lifter shaft. Like below
42097_e3ba549869e9981db94f8c82158d7813.jpg

If it is and you keep trying to take the freeplay out it will snap. Like below.

20170328_142651_001.jpg

4 hours and your riding again.

Yeah, what he said.

When you go in you may also want to think about possibly upgrading some parts and @warp9.9's external spring mod.

The lifter piece if you go in and probay the lifter shaft if its damaged. Check the free play first could just be a adjustment.

Adjusted the clutch ;) shes shifting just fine now little noise every now and then but not nearly as bad as it was. Went for a short ride so I figure it will settle down yet

Ok any one know where to get the clutch plate and waterpump gaskets. I had no proublems finding one when i did the detent spring but haveing a hard time finding it again :(

You beat me to it re clutch adjustable. ..if your clutch lever is not right out on the settings...like 5...the bike will move off when you engage a gear....so have it right out even if you have to reach a bit to pull the clutch lever..

Back