Shifting "Clunk" sound, what is going on?

DKB&R3

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 R3
Gentlemen,

I just finished (took nearly a month - part time) replacing the output shaft bearing (as a whole new assemble with new outer case) and she runs GREAT!!! However, it does seam that there is "excessive" noise now shifting into all gears; 1st gear was always a "clunk" but now it seams all the gears have a "clunk". The is NO gear/transmission sound when in gear - that is all smooth. 2005 with 30,500 miles.
New oil was part of the repair. BTW, HUGE thanks to all who helped in educating me through that repair as I did it totally by myself. Thanks! DKBrg3

Check the clutch free play as it might be rotating the input shaft more then it likes. Also I noticed you said fresh oil but did not reference what grade and type . Yours being a 05 should be 15w50 4rt mobile one. If not that then I would recommend a oil close to the same like ams oil 20w0 or Motul 300 V 15w50 or even redline 20w50 People have noticed a difference when running thing like castrol.
anyway that and proper free play would be my first recommendation:D
If there is a lot of new gears it might need some break in thrashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the clutch free play as it might be rotating the input shaft more then it likes. Also I noticed you said fresh oil but did not reference what grade and type . Yours being a 05 should be 15w50 4rt mobile one. If not that then I would recommend a oil close to the same like ams oil 20w0 or Motul 300 V 15w50 or even redline 20w50 People have noticed a difference when running thing like castrol.
anyway that and proper free play would be my first recommendation:D
If there is a lot of new gears it might need some break in thrashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Warp! My oil is Lucas 10w40 Motorcycle and have been wondering the same thing; I need to find a better oil and will move to a 15w50 4rt Mobil 1 or the Ams Oil 4rt 20w0 - both of which will be full synthetic too. The only new gear is on the ne output shaft which is meshing with the old trany gear.
Thanks again!

DKB&r3

Back