Shaft Oil Leak - very minor

Choche

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hey guys; so finally removed my Rocket's final drive so I can grease the splines. My bike only has 7500 miles and its a 2013. Yeah, I need to ride it more. Anyway, when I removed the final drive, I noticed a film of oil the end of the swing arm. I traced it back to the shaft and as it joins the engine; basically right at the output shaft. Has anyone else seen this? Also, the leak is extremely minor; beginning to think that it's because the bike has been sitting for some time.

No oil leaks on the floor from anywhere just that I saw it now that I removed the final drive. Wondering if I'm overreacting; I pulled the boot a little and there is no pool of oil but I can see where the dust has collected. Final drive was full, engine is full (even a little over). What do you all think?

I'd run it like that with no issues. No visible oil leaks means you are ok. Worry about it if you notice oil starting to exit the witness hole just ahead of the final drive.

One other point, the film of oil could also come from residual grease used to lube the splines. The grease is usually flung out of the splined joint ending up against the housing.

I'd run it like that with no issues. No visible oil leaks means you are ok. Worry about it if you notice oil starting to exit the witness hole just ahead of the final drive.

One other point, the film of oil could also come from residual grease used to lube the splines. The grease is usually flung out of the splined joint ending up against the housing.

Thank you; it's just me. My wife's jeep (2018 Wrangler) is at the Dealer; rear main seal. Been there a week with the part on back order. So don't want to know about that right now lol

Have a question, do you all use the same Moly Grease on the wheel flange? The service manual calls for NLGI 2 I believe for the flange. I used the same Moly one because the flange had plenty of the same colored grease from the shaft side.

Back