Shaft Effect and Technique

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Thinking back a couple of years, I remember the bike having a notable rise on throttle, especially in 2nd.

Fast forward to now, when hard on the gas I can’t feel the shaft effect anymore. It feels like squat now when hard on power.

In trying to understand the effect, power output should be irrelevant to the anti-squat geometry changes produced under power, because the more power you send back through the shaft, the harder the anti-squat effect.

At least that’s how my brain is processing it. For the more suspension/geometry smart people, is that accurate?

I’ve been watching Max McAllister’s series of movies on YouTube and he’s got me curious about what happens to the R3 geometry under power.

One thing it seems is common to other bikes, I’ve never experienced on the rocket:

Running wide after apex, I’ve always felt that power on helps me tighten my line on the rocket and I am able to really roll on quite early in the corner.

When riding with sport bikes I’ve noticed I’m usually on power 1-2 seconds earlier and often much harder, often already at full power as they are just starting to feed it in.

Conversely they’re always braking much later and deeper, so we tend to do this pogo dance where they pull away on entry, a little bit mid corner and I feel them in on corner exits.

Do you guys feel the same about corner exit drive?

Similar here.
Others will beat me into a corner, but coming out, as soon as I see the exit line, or am anticipating the exit line, maybe 10-15° before the apex I give it full throttle.
This tends to stand the bike up, but I know this so have gone deeper (lent over more, which gives me a tighter line into the corner) I then use the throttle to pull me up and out.
I absolutely blitz those that lead me in.

Could be why rear tyres don't last long :D

Shaft drive JACKS the rear suspension UP when pulling hard, as the pinion tries to climb the ring gear... The longer the swing arm, the less leverage it has to do so. My 1980 XS1100 was BAAAAD (short swing arm), my 1986 Concours was MUCH better (longer swing arm). The Rocket has SOOO much steam though.
I haven't wrung it's neck in the twisties yet, will report in. Generally speaking, if you're hard in a corner, layed over near the limit, chopping the throttle abruptly could cause squat, and slam chassis into the tarmac upsetting you. But you'd have to be riding at 99% gonzo bank robber level. The RIII fat rear tire is a bigger contributor to corner behavior, than the shaft VS chain/belt, IMHO.

Last edited:
I really need to test ride some other bikes I think to expand my basis for comparison to these new platforms.

Really wondering it’s just how you and I ride or if it is the bike.

I did have my bike die on me mid corner right as I was rolling on in second last Saturday. Was just getting into the rambunctious area around 5000 and she died cranked over pretty good. Scary as ****, immediately called it a day after changing underwear and went home lol.

Last edited:
When compared with other cruisers, the only bike to fear is the Diavel, which impressed me greatly pulling wheelies while leaned over on a freeway on ramp. :cool::eek::D

Conversely they’re always braking much later and deeper,

If they are semi experienced that is correct in what they are doing , always shoot for the delayed apex lets you enter faster and with trail braking lets you get on the throttle sooner also- now one thing to always remember never get back on the throttle until you are sure you are not going to let it go, nothing worse than a bike bouncing all over the place.

Indeed it does, I also don’t even notice right hand twitch from crank rotation anymore at all, never really did but some people can’t stand it.

Excited to get my forks back on next week so I can do some more geometry measuring. I have a suspicion regarding swing arm angle. I also want to attach a gopro looking backwards mounted where it can see the swing arm and actually see what it’s doing at full power.

I have a feeling the reason I now “feel” squat instead of antisquat is that my seat foam in the back completely buckles at full power now.

Conversely they’re always braking much later and deeper,

If they are semi experienced that is correct in what they are doing , always shoot for the delayed apex lets you enter faster and with trail braking lets you get on the throttle sooner also- now one thing to always remember never get back on the throttle until you are sure you are not going to let it go, nothing worse than a bike bouncing all over the place.

One of the key things I took away from Twist of the Wrist, once opened, keep it open!!

I do have to admit, when riding with others I leave a lot on the table in the braking zone, and Im fine that for street riding. I just get the slowing done a little early, get body set for the turn, and power through.

For some reason I always ride harder solo than with anyone else, mental thing.

Back