Self-cancelling indicators

Has anyone found a good way to make our indicators self cancelling?
I did buy the ones they had on newbonneville.com but you still needed to push the button before the next turn. I think you can take out the button lock, but never tried that. Eventually I took it off & went back to pushing the button....lots more than needed as I always forget to 😅😎

I've got the STS one on my GSX- S750 when they first came out in 2017. The little foam pieces kept dislodging in the switch, so I filed off the lock in the switch. It works awesomely! Even when switching lanes. I bought a new one this year to put on my Rocket, but unfortunately, I can't figure out a way to disassemble the switch without destroying it ( I cant see how to remove the toggle for your thumb so I can pull the switch assembly from the housing).

I've got the STS one on my GSX- S750 when they first came out in 2017. The little foam pieces kept dislodging in the switch, so I filed off the lock in the switch. It works awesomely! Even when switching lanes. I bought a new one this year to put on my Rocket, but unfortunately, I can't figure out a way to disassemble the switch without destroying it ( I cant see how to remove the toggle for your thumb so I can pull the switch assembly from the housing).
I am seeing some very good reviews - it even detects a lane change. Pity about the switch challenge but I do like a challenge so I might order one and find out if there is a way to mod the switch without destroying it - after all, if it can be assembled it can be disassembled....... right? :p

Last edited:
I am seeing some very good reviews - it even detects a lane change. Pity about the switch challenge but I do like a challenge so I might order one and find out if there is a way to mod the switch without destroying it - after all, if it can be assembled it can be disassembled....... right? :p
Yep, I was amazed how well it works. When changing lanes I don't over-exaggerate on my leans, it works with-out any problems, and the S-750 has a pretty short rake and trail.
If you do figure out a way to take the switch apart please post it here:).

It looks fairly straightforward to me - but one option is a bit irreversible :oops:
After removing the handlebar switch assembly and the securing screws for the switch module and snipping the cable tie

20220926_115001.jpg

The switch module will pop out (watch out for the return spring for the horn switch). Turn the module over and you can see the latch springs (green arrows) where the STS foam pads are inserted . If this doesn't work (the latching is quite strong) it will need the irreversible step of nipping off the latch nibs (red arrows) with a scalpel blade. This will render the switch permanently momentary with no latching function so be sure you like self cancelling indicators ;)

switch mods.jpg

Last edited:
Or if you are feeling a bit more adventurous you can separate the two halves of the module to access things more easily - just be aware of the internal parts which could ping out if you are not careful. You can now easily insert the foam pads either side of the spring and if all else fails, snip off the nibs with a pair of sharp side cutters
switch mods2.jpg

Last edited:
As I had the switch apart I thought I would experiment with some foam that I had lying around - about 6mm thick

20220926_152144.jpg

So I popped in a couple of pieces in each side of the springs to keep the pressure as even as possible.

20220926_152955.jpg

After putting everything back together the result is pretty good. The button is now firm but momentary - I can still get it to latch if I push hard either way but we will see how it goes when I get the STS module next week. I reckon it might 'give' over time and need some stiffer foam but it's only a 10-minute job to replace it so not a problem.

Last edited:
Back