Tbucket

.060 Over
For the third time I have experienced under hard acceleration in second gear around 5000 RPMs a loss or slip of drivetrain power momentarily along with what sounds like a transmission noise, but the noise sounds more like it is coming from the final drive. Has anyone else had this problem , have an idea, or familiar with these symptoms? I have 6000 miles on my 06 classic. I enjoy the power it has from time to time but really do not snatch it around or race it.

Thats right around peak horse power(6000rpm), its possible that the clutch might be slipping. But its real early for it to be worn out. Check your clutch lever free-play it should be 2-3 mm, check page 71 of the owners manual.

I have had the same exact thing with my '06 Classic. It feels almost like I ran over something with my rear tire. Second gear only and under hard acceleration. It has only done it a few times and is very intermittent.

I have had the same exact thing with my '06 Classic. It feels almost like I ran over something with my rear tire. Second gear only and under hard acceleration. It has only done it a few times and is very intermittent.

Yes that is it exactly, the first time it happened I also thought I ran over something with rear tire and maybe slipped. The second time was a little more pronounced but still was not sure if it was bike or road condition. Got to thinking about it shortly after it happened a couple of miles down the road and gapped it open again in second and paid much closer attention, definitely the bike. So, I was wondering Brian did you adjust the clutch cable and find positive results or you still living with the intermittent problem? Ed

sounds like a worn shift fork(s). Unless the rocket has a non-conventional motorcycle drive train. If it was a clutch issue, it seems it would be more apparent in higher gears. Sounds like it's slipping into neutral for a split second.

I have adjusted it but the second gear issue is so intermittent that I don't know if it has or will make a difference. It probably hasn't happened but maybe 3 or 4 times total.

I've never noticed it on my '06 Classic but then I never open it up anyway. Don't get behind me at ES. If I wack it, the carbon will choke ya.:eek:

Honestly, I've hammered it through the first 3 quite a few times, especially getting on the E-way and I can't say I've ever noticed anything unusual but I'll keep a better ear on now.

Found a couple of other complaints on the other site under transmission problems. Sounds like the fix is a upgrade kit which would be complete replacement of all gears and all bearings, which brings it up to 2008 standards. Sounds like I will be talking to the dealer. Supposedly there is a range of serial numbers that Triumph is aware of with transmission problems or potential for. Will investigate further.

Back