Seating position

BigAl52

Supercharged
Ride
R3 standard with many mods
I have an unusual problem to say the least.........I've had my fair share of bikes of various styles and my R3 is the first bike that has made both my hands numb after about 15 mins of riding.
I don't feel uncomfortable when riding but I'm guessing its all to do with position, I'm 6'2 and 120kgs.
I also have an 1100 Shadow Ace and no problems on that.
Would appreciate feedback from anyone that has fitted risers for similar reasons.

Pullback risers will help sit up straight instead of leaning forward.

You can also try changing your sitting position in the saddle.
If you are sitting with butt in the back of the saddle, you're leaning way forward with your weight on your hands. Great for the twisties, not so great for cruising.

If you shift your position more forward in the saddle, you'll be sitting more upright => less lean forward => less weight on your hands => and less stress on your lower back.

All of this can be resolved with a set of pullback risers (Handlebar Risers by Rivco for the New Triumph Rocket III), or if your cheap like me, you can get the same results by changing your position in the saddle.

I'm 6'2" as well, what saved me pain an misery were the risers (and tilting the bars back as far as possible), Classic floor boards (you have those) and moving the seating position down and forward with a Corbin Young Guns saddle (just like the one in the NewR3.com ad). Corbin's are an acquired taste since they are hard as a rock, but firmer was better for me. I didn't have the numb hands problem, mine was neck and left shoulder pain from a little old lady induced car accident years ago. I needed to "pull" on the bars rather that "lean" into them. If I could bring the grips just one more inch back, she'd be perfect. But that extra inch is gonna involve Bars and cables .... maybe some day.

The Rivco risers are a good inexpensive place to start, can't hurt giving them a shot.

There have been other Classic owners that have expressed the same issue. I believe that it has something to do with the particular shape of the bars. Risers are a must but you might also want to consider changing out the bars to something that doesn't cause you to angle your wrists out so much.

Sometimes simply rotating the bars upward or downward will help, especially if they were not properly positioned when the bike was uncrated and first set up.

..just about any bike has to be made to fit the rider..kinda like adjusting the seat for your self when you get in a car..I'm 5'10" and here's what I had to do to find my comfort level on my 06 standard..fitted thunderbike T bars..keeps your wrist in a more natural position..

Thunderbike - Rocket 3 - Online Shop ..along with the Rivco risers..had to get 2" longer brake lines from Spiegler Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines ..and last and one of the best mods I've found, is the Utopia backrest..

Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat

..at 6' 2", you'd probaly only need the T bars, and you wouldn't have to change the brake lines..the back rest would be icing on the cake..

I have an unusual problem to say the least.........I've had my fair share of bikes of various styles and my R3 is the first bike that has made both my hands numb after about 15 mins of riding.
I don't feel uncomfortable when riding but I'm guessing its all to do with position, I'm 6'2 and 120kgs.
I also have an 1100 Shadow Ace and no problems on that.
Would appreciate feedback from anyone that has fitted risers for similar reasons.

G'day Al

look at the palm of your hands, at the bottom of your hand near your wrist right at the bulge in your hand when you bend your thumb up, got it.

Across the base of your hand is a tendon going left to right, under that tendon is a group of tendons and nerves that go to your fingers, this area is called the carpal tunnel.

To much pressure on the carpal tunnel is what causes the numbness and when to gets to bad you need an operation to get more room for the tendons and nerves. Pain in the arse and know you feeling well, even get it whilst driving.:mad:

Marty, you started off sounding like you knew what you were talking about with all that stuff about numb hands and carpel tunnels etc - and then you said it was a pain in the arse......:confused: Do you actually know your arse from your elbow??? :D:p;)

Back