Scorpion Battery Issue

Fishbein

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket III Touring 2014 (previously 2008)
I have an '08 R3Touring and bought a Scorpion battery just before winter as I always had trouble starting below maybe 52 F, despite regular use of a Battery Tender Plus. Rode straight thru winter except with precipitation below freezing. Also did a full service right before winter. Had no problems until recently.

Sometimes bike starts fine. Sometimes there's no connection at all; no turnover. Sometimes it turns over then dies. Sometimes it starts then dies any time within a few mins. Acts like it could simply shut off while riding (very strange).

Obviously took seat off and checked batt connections. Looked ok, but resecured wires. Worked fine for a day. Now not right again. Thought it might relate to kickstand being down, slipping into gear and shutting off due to safety. Neutral light wanders in and out, maybe gears too.

Any helpful thoughts?

ON a touring does the speedo sweep when you turn the key? if so wiggle the wires under the ignition and see if you make contact. you might have ignition switch playing up on you. Also check the egine ground where it bolts to the block under neath to make sure it is clean. Sand it some for good contact. and we shall go from there. Lrt me know I am subscribing to this thread. Cleaning the gear sensor with scotch brite and making sure you lubricate the clutch safety switch as it might be stuck in when you pull the clutch causing the bike not to turn over.

Hey Fish, good to see you posting again. Wish is were under better circumstances.

Heed Warp's suggestion on the negative battery cable. When I upgraded mine, I was surprised by the amount of corrosion on the bottom side connection.

Next check is the sidestand switch.

Then you get your quiji board out and have a conversation with the ghost of Lucas.

Thanks, boys! Much obliged. Checking, but all looks normal. Pretty sure it is the kickstand gear sensor indeed. As you know, TDragger, I'm much more rider than mechanic - might take her to the shop before I screw everything up. Had her idling beautifully w kickstand up, but neutral light comes and goes, and right when I dropped the kickstand everything shut off (even though in neutral). Other times not so black andvwhite. :cool:

Cleaning the gear posistion sensor is a easy job I use scotch brite here is a picture os the sensor you can see the copper contact points for the gears and neutral,

in the picture below you caan see the contact pin that makes contact with the sensor. It is on a spring so do not let it fall on the floor cloean the tip of it also,

easy job even if your not the best at turning wrenches:D

Thanks a lot, dude. Very much appreciated.
NO problem sometimes all you have to do is loosen th etwo bolts and rotate it a little and it will be in sync with the contact plunger. I am not sure it it would seem to me the little odd contact is neutral and the rest are the gears. I am just speculating that though. On the basis that it is the only odd ball contact.

Back