Saddlebag Options for Occasional Use

germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
What's up guys?! I bought an R3R back a month or two ago and it had the Triumph leather bags. I'll never be riding two up, so I took off the Corbin Dual seat and replaced it with the Corbin Fast Gun solo seat. As soon as I did that, I disliked the way the bags looked with seat - they were positioned up too high. I also love seeing more of the fender.

So, this morning I removed the bags and I really like the look. I won't often need the bags unless I'm taking a trip. I've thought about getting easy brackets, but it would seem they might not work with the Triumph bags and hangers. I saw the attached pic with a single bag the other day and am intrigued by it.

Anyone ever do anything like that? Would there be any ramifications for having a bag on only one side of the bike?

7bbb00e5a8838536445de24a8cc58888.jpg

What's up guys?! I bought an R3R back a month or two ago and it had the Triumph leather bags. I'll never be riding two up, so I took off the Corbin Dual seat and replaced it with the Corbin Fast Gun solo seat. As soon as I did that, I disliked the way the bags looked with seat - they were positioned up too high. I also love seeing more of the fender.

So, this morning I removed the bags and I really like the look. I won't often need the bags unless I'm taking a trip. I've thought about getting easy brackets, but it would seem they might not work with the Triumph bags and hangers. I saw the attached pic with a single bag the other day and am intrigued by it.

Anyone ever do anything like that? Would there be any ramifications for having a bag on only one side of the bike?

Hi Germ79

Sorry can't help with the saddle bag thing .
Do you know anything about the bike in the photo I like the air intake and the bars not sure about the seat

Unfortunately, I don't. I don't remember where I got it, but if I come across it again, I'll post it up.

Well, I'm looking for bags once again. I have the Triumph leather bags with fancy frame with chrome trim and I just don't care for the way it looks on the bike. I took off the chrome trim and it looks better, but they are SO high up. I could always not use the frame and just attach my easy brackets to the bags themselves, but then wonder if I shouldn't just sell this setup and get something different.

Here's a couple pics of what my final product was - which I strongly dislike.

Any suggestions on a set of bags would be super-helpful. I've been looking and am getting nowhere!

IMG_4396.JPG
IMG_4397.JPG
IMG_4398.JPG

Known a few bags in my time!! The conical air filter set up looks interesting and clean lines, wonder if it breaths enough?

On the subject of saddle bags, run solo too with a Fehling chrome rack and chuck soft bags over, clip them on using web straps, stuff them and ride far. Work fine and inexpensive option.

I think the Rocket in the pic looks stunning with the springer seat and the brown leather bags. While I love the look of the bag, it appears to be very poorly affixed and would tear away at over 50 mph with only two crown nut fixing points. I also agree that the bags look much better down lower but of course, depending on after market exhausts, that could be a problem and certainly so with the stock roadster exhaust.

I never liked the stock leather bags that were on my 07 Classic Tourer, even as fine a leather as they were, so sold them and mounted EZ brackets with after market bags that were functional but not to great looking. If I had it to do again I'd have spent more time in searching for just the right bags. My objective was load capacity for multi-state/cross country touring though so function over form prevailed.

As for the single bag look; yuch. Unbalanced and goofy.

I have one bag on mine, and that gives me just enough room to carry a six pack and a fifth "LoL" Be Safe!

Back