Russell Day Long Seat Failure

GreyFox

GearHead
Ride
Rocket III
I guess it is normal to complain when you don't get your way with a dealer / supplier of parts. I sent my seats to Russell and have been very pleased with the results. My beef is the vinyl has started to fail and Russell can only comment the it must have been left in the sun. The pictures show that the vinyl has a sort of cancer. It is spreading and looks like sheet! I'm under the 18month warranty and no help other than send it back for recovering for $285 plus shipping, for just one seat! All three pieces have this problem.

Sorry Russell, no more business from me if you can't stand behind your products. You SUCK:mad::mad:

P1020554.jpg

Wow!!!!! I was seriously considering aRussell seat but now Im not sure...........So leaving it in the sun will cause this??....doesnt make sense because motorcycles are primarily in the sun!!!!! This has me concerned! :confused:

mutt

Have you tried any vinyl or leather conditioner? That seat looks pretty dry, like it's been very wet and left to dry on it's own and never conditioned.. the Black Rock stuff that Flip sells is really good. Not advertising, just saying I bought a case of the stuff a while back from him and now we use it on all our horse tack, boots, etc. I just recently bought another case.

Sure does suck. I'd certainly look for a way of making it OK if I could even IF they were going to do the right thing by you. Just easier than packing and sending something back. Can't believe they'd ditch you like that.

OMG that does look awful. What is that dark stuff on there? It looks like it's down in the seams ... was it left outside or stored wet?

Since its only the covering that is a problem, I would look for a local upholstery shop. You should be able to get the cover replaced for less than they are quoting not to mention avoiding shipping and extended downtime.

What a timely post re: Day Long seats. After riding 5 hours on my Triumph gel dual today, my ass was aching after about 2 hours. I commented to a riding buddy that I was going to look into a Russel Long seat just this afternoon, and spent quite a bit of time perusing their website today. Now...having some second thoughts...

Any additional positive or negative feedback regarding others who have purchased and ridden Day Longs?

Those Russel seats are the most cmfortable ones on the market. I've got the pillon now and am about to get the front seat done in black leather. Sorry to hear about your problem. Looks like it was out in the elements with no protection.
You very well could have gotten a bad batch of vinyl.
You've got the best seat made. Just go to a local upholsterer and get it recovered. Probably won't be over $125.00 if that much.
Good luck

Snuffcityrider had a nice Russel Day Long seat on his Rocket before he became a traitor (trader?) and swapped it for a GoldWing. He had the seat on his bike for several years. He and his wife took some long trips from central Texas over to New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado once a year with it, as well as other road trips, and all I heard was positive stuff about it. My wife and I have met up with them a time or two amd when my whife saw that seat she said if we rode 2 up more often, she would be making me get one of those!.. lol He still has some pics in his photo album. He does check in still, so you can PM him..

Back