Running On Two!

bluespirit

Standard Bore
Hi all here's my problem with my 2006 classic,had the bike running until it was warm,switched off then on restarting it front cylinder not running. I have checked the spark and all ok,battery is new and fully charged,all hoses seem tight and good,filters clean, petrol good,took plugs out they are clean showing un-burnt petrol on the tips, the only thing tuneboy showing on the error codes was cooling fan earth bad! no other symptoms before this. any ideas appreciated!

If a cyl is not firing at all, sounds like you might have a bad coil, that or one of the plug/wire combos has been bad for awhile and the other just failed. Pull a plug wire off the #1 coil and check for spark.

Think coil seems to be the way to go. will check leads earth etc but with one plug showing weak spark the consesus on r3.com seems to be plugs not sparking under load due to bad coil. so wkend i will go down that route see how i get on.

Thanks for the replies, This is where i am at now....replaced coil on non firing cylinder managed to fire it up still only on rear 2 cylinders, Managed to get codes on tuneboy P0351 Ignition coil 1 circuit malfunction
P0352 Ignition coil 2 circuit malfunction even with the second code that cylinder is firing up. Have checked mounting for front coil all nice and tight,with power getting to the connections and have spark at the plugs its also fueling the cylinder. Could it be a bad earth?

Yes, a faulty ground wire can cause a cylinder to drop. Check 'em, clean 'em, give them a good coating of dielectric grease and good luck!

Why not trouble shoot coils by swapping two of them? If the other cylinder doesn't fire... well, you get the idea.

Back