r3badboy

Supercharged
Ride
06 Rocket 3 & all years parts built R3 & 06 flood
Howdy, re my last post I have managed to find my spare engine is from a 2016 roadster with only 1600k's on it 😁
My next goal is to get it running out of a bike....( my 06 is running great & dont want to do a swap just to start it)
I'll build a stand & have access to a 2010 wiring loom with ecu & have a tank with fuel pump.
My question would be what else would I need to make it run....
Would i need the gauges?
Would it be best to hook up a radiator?...wouldn't run it for long if not.
Would I need a starter & cutout switch block?......
Etc.
Appreciate the info, cheers

Howdy, re my last post I have managed to find my spare engine is from a 2016 roadster with only 1600k's on it 😁
My next goal is to get it running out of a bike....( my 06 is running great & dont want to do a swap just to start it)
I'll build a stand & have access to a 2010 wiring loom with ecu & have a tank with fuel pump.
My question would be what else would I need to make it run....
Would i need the gauges?
Would it be best to hook up a radiator?...wouldn't run it for long if not.
Would I need a starter & cutout switch block?......
Etc.
Appreciate the info, cheers
Which ECU are you planning to use?
The ECU on 2016 R3 Roadsters will not allow remote running of these whole bikes or the engine without the stock digital speedometer for that model series plugged in as it is digitally associated with the ECU, where as your older 2004-2009 ECUs work with aftermarket speedometers like KOSO etc as well as factory stock they came with.

@barbagris and others can explain better than I.
There were at least 2 different versions of the new digital speedo/ECU combinations for the 2010 onwards ABS Roadsters. The first went to 2013 or 2014 before the later ECU/Speedo combo was required.

So any engine from 2004-2018 will probably run fine as long as you have the correct combination of matching ECU and Speedo version.

I hope that helps until the 'Knowledgables' chime in. ;) :whitstling:

The ECU on 2016 R3 Roadsters will not allow remote running of these whole bikes or the engine without the stock digital speedometer for that model series plugged in as it is digitally associated with the ECU, where as your older 2004-2009 ECUs work with aftermarket speedometers like KOSO etc as well as factory stock they came with.

There were at least 2 different versions of the new digital speedo/ECU combinations for the 2010 onwards ABS Roadsters. The first went to 2013 or 2014 before the later ECU/Speedo combo was required.

So any engine from 2004-2018 will probably run fine as long as you have the correct combination of matching ECU and Speedo version.

Pretty much spot on explanation. Pre CANBUS (2009 and earlier) are a cinch. CANBUS - not so much.

I think it was @Mittzy who did the "will a canbus ECU bike work withouth the correct speedo". IIRC it would run without one, but would not start without one.

I'd not risk running the block without coolant flowing. The R3 block warms up fast ime.

It can be done, but a real pain in the rear end. You need all the gadgets hooked up. Tip sensor, etc. etc. Yes, you'll need the "canbuss" speedometer. I ran my 2013 spare engine, but it took me weeks to get everything sorted out. Mine came from a wreck, so the original wiring harness was a mess. I had to order a used one $150, and after many hours studying the wiring diagrams, etc. I got it running. I used a garden water hose, for a water supply. You will also need a stock tank/with fuel pump etc. or you'll have to cobble up something with an external pump, regulator, etc. etc. You need around 40psi fuel pressure.

Cheers, just trying to up my knowledge before attempting....

Pretty much spot on explanation. Pre CANBUS (2009 and earlier) are a cinch. CANBUS - not so much.

I think it was @Mittzy who did the "will a canbus ECU bike work withouth the correct speedo". IIRC it would run without one, but would not start without one.

I'd not risk running the block without coolant flowing. The R3 block warms up fast ime.
Cheers for info

Cheers, looks like a mission alright, but not out of my realm of my possibilities...I think. Have an original spare tank with fuel pump. The harness I could use hasn't got a speedo...so I wont be using that. I have an 05 ecu, speedo & harness.
I know the gps probably be different wiring...I'm guessing I'll need that to start it. Is the tip sensor on all bikes?
If the brain starts hurting I might just be content with turning it over without plugs in to keep it free & lubed until I need to use it. 😅

Back