Running a stored bike in snowy months

BillyIndiana

Road rash heals-Freckles grow back-Ride
Ride
2015 R3T
I saw this mentioned in another thread and thought it was worth highlighting.

I have done a bit of study on this, but hey if you don't agree just shut up and do as I say.(just kidding)

First what I have learned bout storing bikes.
  1. Additive in the gas. I like Seafoam. Make sure you run the bike so it gets through the system.
  2. Battery tender of some kind. I use Schumacher 1.5 amp battery conditioner. I helped a friend on Facebook set up a solar panel for a battery tender. Parts are readily available for this. Google it.
  3. Tires off the ground. You know those old pieces of plywood you don't know what to do with? Here you go.
  4. Protective cover that breaths. I have my bikes under a painters tarp in the garage.
Now why is it bad to run your bike in the winter for short periods of time?

Because of temperature variations moisture can build up in the crank case. You know that case vent, well part of its function is to let the vaporizes moisture escape. Warming up the engine may not be long enough to evaporate the moisture. You do however increase the temperature variations increasing the opportunity for more moisture to gather.

Most bikes do not produce enough voltage to charge the battery at idle. Not really a big deal if you use a battery tender of some sort.

In cold weather the ECU normally runs the bike rich. If the fuel system is not given time to get up to temp then there is a chance you could have some gas in the cylinder. This could seep by the rings and remove lubricant from the cylinder walls. Note: This is a general statement and not specific to the Rocket.

Braking these rules.

If you store your bike in a heated environment you can run the bike for short periods of time. If you store it in your house make sure the wife is not home.

If you get a chance to get out for say 30 to 45 minutes of ride time go for it.

This advise is from the Book of Bill. Any comments welcome.

PS when hauling your bike in the winter get an enclosed trailer.

Last edited:
Hope they don’t use salt on the roads where you towed...

Oh that is not me or mine. It is a picture that was on Facebook Yesterday.

Unfortunately this job is beyond the capabilities of Pledge Multi Purpose Cleaner:D

I think they should try Spray and Wash.o_O

I have to laugh i do all the above ,even oil fog the cylinders and block the ends of the exhaust to prevent mice from getting in. Then there's this guy i know who lives right on the ocean owns a Honda Valkyrie, never has he sheltered his bike form the elements for the 8 years I've seen it parked. It's out side all the time in all kinds of weather rain snow and sleet. Every year he fires it up no problem.:D

Attachments

• P82A27921.jpg
    P82A27921.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I guess I've been svrewing up the last gew years. I usually bring mine into the basement during the winter. Yes the wifey does not give me grief, well mostly excrpt for when I fire it up in the basement. Bit when I bought the trailer for the bike one is usually in it with a heater to keep it above freezing. I fo fire it up and run it for a half oir every week or so tp move oil around. My only question is. If all this moisture stuff is a problem then how does our cages survive the winter?

A bit off topic, but then again it is about a bike.
Out of high school I spent a winter in Utah skiing. I supported my habit by working at a local 7-11 during the "grave yard shift". I would ride my bike a 10-speed road bike to work when the roads were wet, icy, if it was snowing, it didn't mater. The looks I got at 11:00 at night riding a bike down a icy road during a snowstorm were priceless. They must have thought I was nuts...Then again if the shoe, or ski boot fits...

I guess I've been svrewing up the last gew years. I usually bring mine into the basement during the winter. Yes the wifey does not give me grief, well mostly excrpt for when I fire it up in the basement. Bit when I bought the trailer for the bike one is usually in it with a heater to keep it above freezing. I fo fire it up and run it for a half oir every week or so tp move oil around. My only question is. If all this moisture stuff is a problem then how does our cages survive the winter?

Like I said once the engine gets up to temp the moisture will burn off. Just no need to make things worse than they have to be. If your oil is breaking down you will notice in the spring it will look milky. That means the moisture has mixed with the oil and it needs changed.

Most of these preventative actions are OCD. I like to baby my bikes as best I can.

I have to laugh i do all the above ,even oil fog the cylinders and block the ends of the exhaust to prevent mice from getting in. Then there's this guy i know who lives right on the ocean owns a Honda Valkyrie, never has he sheltered his bike form the elements for the 8 years I've seen it parked. It's out side all the time in all kinds of weather rain snow and sleet. Every year he fires it up no problem.:D
I hate to say it but the most important word in your statement is ...Honda

I new a guy who had one of those grey import CBR 400 Treated like he stole it for about five years

Quick splash with some warm water and bubbles the thing would look brand new and run sweet as a nut

I saw this mentioned in another thread and thought it was worth highlighting.

I have done a bit of study on this, but hey if you don't agree just shut up and do as I say.(just kidding)

First what I have learned bout storing bikes.
  1. Additive in the gas. I like Seafoam. Make sure you run the bike so it gets through the system.
  2. Battery tender of some kind. I use Schumacher 1.5 amp battery conditioner. I helped a friend on Facebook set up a solar panel for a battery tender. Parts are readily available for this. Google it.
  3. Tires off the ground. You know those old pieces of plywood you don't know what to do with? Here you go.
  4. Protective cover that breaths. I have my bikes under a painters tarp in the garage.
Now why is it bad to run your bike in the winter for short periods of time?

Because of temperature variations moisture can build up in the crank case. You know that case vent, well part of its function is to let the vaporizes moisture escape. Warming up the engine may not be long enough to evaporate the moisture. You do however increase the temperature variations increasing the opportunity for more moisture to gather.

Most bikes do not produce enough voltage to charge the battery at idle. Not really a big deal if you use a battery tender of some sort.

In cold weather the ECU normally runs the bike rich. If the fuel system is not given time to get up to temp then there is a chance you could have some gas in the cylinder. This could seep by the rings and remove lubricant from the cylinder walls. Note: This is a general statement and not specific to the Rocket.

Braking these rules.

If you store your bike in a heated environment you can run the bike for short periods of time. If you store it in your house make sure the wife is not home.

If you get a chance to get out for say 30 to 45 minutes of ride time go for it.

This advise is from the Book of Bill. Any comments welcome.

PS when hauling your bike in the winter get an enclosed trailer.
I don't see how running a modern motor up to temperature every couple of weeks can hurt it over the life time of a engine

Most engine wear occurs when a engine is cold so repeatedly cold starting a engine through a winter everyday is surely worse than starting a stored engine every so often

of course the best way to get heat into a engine is drive it and of course a stored motor will get moisture in it but that applies to all engines

As for batteries they are a consumable it not gonna last forever anyway surely running a battery tender works the battery and just uses up its life anyway

I don't see how running a modern motor up to temperature every couple of weeks can hurt it over the life time of a engine

Most engine wear occurs when a engine is cold so repeatedly cold starting a engine through a winter everyday is surely worse than starting a stored engine every so often

of course the best way to get heat into a engine is drive it and of course a stored motor will get moisture in it but that applies to all engines

As for batteries they are a consumable it not gonna last forever anyway surely running a battery tender works the battery and just uses up its life anyway

Guess it is the county boy in me. Like riding a horse. When I am done always wipe her down and brush her then a couple cubes of sugar. Sure made for a good relationship.;)

Back