RPM while cruising at 80mph

DodahMan

Turbocharged
Ride
Yamaha Roadstar, 2011 Triumph Rocket III Tour
Well, I had high hopes for the R3 tour model but was very disappointed at the RPM while cruising on my run at 70 - 80 mph. For a motorcycle with this much torque, it seems that it ought to be turning at 2300 rpm. I don't get it. Low rpm and torque go together. 3000 rpm is pretty high at this speed. My 1600 Yamaha roadstar turns less than that. Can you regear these bikes?

I like high torque but the tranny needs to use it properly. For instance, my 2000 F250 7.3L diesel truck @ stock makes something like 550/ft lb at only 1800 rpm. I cruize at 55 doing 1300 rpm. This is torque and where it lives.

What the hell have Triumph engineers done? High torque, high HP but wrong gearing!

Yep big money....and I don't think the bigger pinion you'd need would fit in the pumpkin...well half a pumpkin.

I love the tour model but they seriously need to regear it. I guess I am opting for a 103 road glide with the 6th speed. I rent them when I am out west in Phoenix training and they are smooth as silk at 80mph through the desert. I sure wish Triumph had put a sixth speed OD on these babies!

3000RPM AT 80MPH not bad , go with the HD just give yourself an extra day or two to get where you are going

True but Triumph could have done so much better. In the end, there is no perfect motorcycle. Hopefully I will hit the lotto this weekend and I ca custom build what I want, lol.

You want a extra gear buy a Honda or Harley. Very happy with five.:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove Hekk it is raining. Glad I brought all the tools in:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey I agree, the bike would be better with a long 6th gear.

Really no place to squeeze one in.

IMG_20170528_141451937.jpg

Back