rough running / hesitation after service

marcmywordz

Standard Bore
I have just had my Rocket serviced by my local main dealer.
It was coming up to 20,000 miles and had not had a service for 2yrs.
I have had the bike just under a year and done approx 2000miles, and I decided on the dealers advice to have the big service inc all adjustments and fluids etc. at a cost of £650.
Anyway now it has developed a problem that was never there before, between 2000 - 3000 rpm it runs rough and sort of hesitates.
You cannot hold a nice cruising rpm, it jerks and lurches.

I took it back to the dealerthe same afternoon I picked it up.
they had it for 2 days and then said that due to lack of use the fuel has gone stall, so they drained it and replaced it with new fuel.:confused:
I said that was quick !, as because the fuel light was on within 2 miles of picking it up,I had filled it on the way back to returning it back to them!!:eek: and that as on the invoice they gave me the week before it states that they have changed the fuel pipes, maybe they should have noticed that there was next to no fuel in it when they returned it to me...:eek:
I also told them that i had done a 250 mile trip to south wales only 2 weeks before and it ran fine then...

So they have now had the bike another 2 days and ive heard nothing.

On my invoice amongst other things it states that they had changed, fuel pipes/plugs/fluids/etc..
and that they had adjusted the tappets as ness,
I also asked them to check the Map, as I have a cat bypass on it.
It ran fine before and after the cat bypass but I thought I may as well get them to check it.

i am really fed up, I was told that my Rocket will "feel like a new bike after the major service,so much better"
I love this bike and just want it right.

What do you lot think may be the problem?:confused:

Hello "Marc" , welcome to the site ! Be sure an introduce yourself in the "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" section of the forum. As for your bike, not sure what level of mechanical aptitude your at, so for starters I would have the people who did the work, lift the tank again and double check all the hoses and connections. They probably disturbed something while they were under there checking the valves. Not really sure what they mean by "fuel pipes" that they replaced. Anyway it sounds like it's running lean. Could be a vacuum leak (from a line being left off or cracked) or it could be one of the fuel lines got pinched or kinked. At any rate they owe you a bike that runs as least as good as one you brought in. Keep us posted on what transpires. Fred

Sounds to me like they updated your ECU map with the latest verson and stuffed it..

You need to give us detail mods on ya bike if the stealer does'nt fix it fo ya :)

Sounds to me like they updated your ECU map with the latest verson and stuffed it..

You need to give us detail mods on ya bike if the stealer does'nt fix it fo ya :)

I had to go back to his original posting. You might be onto something with the tune. Sounds like a good candidate for tune ECU.

I had to go back to his original posting. You might be onto something with the tune. Sounds like a good candidate for tune ECU.

I remember a couple of previous issues where guys ECU's where given the recommended service Big T' ECU map update and the bike ran like Schidt Fred, just thought it was worth a mention mate :cool:

Check the injector plugs to make sure they are locked in and did not vibrate off. Check low tension leads to the coils they work loose and vibrate loosing signal to the coils. crimp them with a needle nose pliers tomake sure the go on firmly. clean the coil terminals first and apply dilaletric grease as they corrode when they are loose fitting. check vacuum lines while your indertheir and the little vaccum line plugs on the throttle body ports that are not used. check large line coming from map sensore to the three coming from the throttle bodies. If they removed the cam cover to actually changes valve bucket shime the pulled this stuff off. reflash ecu and do full ISCV reset. then if that does not rectify the problem we will discuss how they stuffed the timing when they changed the bucket shims. Do not get any crazy ideas like removing the complete cam chain tensioner.

I got it back.....

They could not really give me a definitive answer to wha they did:confused:

But who cares.. my big girls back to her best:D

If i had to make a guess, id say either the Map was wrong, as stated earlier, or when they removed and refitted the tank they unkinked a vacuum pipe or something...

Back