Rocket's first group ride

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Went out riding with guys today, to my surprise I showed up and quickly noticed the rocket was the odd duck out. Two S1000rrs and me, interesting to say the least. She acquitted herself well, not letting the beemers run away until we were over a ton and out in the twisties I was (usually) able to at least keep them in sight if not stay right with them.

We got a lot of crazy looks, no doubt initially from the crazy loud pipes on one of the beemers, then I think people were shocked to see a "cruiser" darting and weaving and generally being a hooligan with them:)

Super happy with the R3, my Daytona would have had more trouble keeping up as odd as that is. At every stop people were oohing and ahiing at the rocket, fielding a thousand questions about her. The best part though, was knowing that I was 999x more comfortable and still **** near as fast 0-100!!

Oh, and I found the feelers on bottom of the pegs as well as the edge of the rear tire, I must say the limits are shockingly high for 800lbs of beast. I know for sure a lot of guys I'v ridden with in the past on sportbikes would struggle to keep up with the R3 at its limit.

Last edited:
Sounds like you exhibited your Rocket quite well!
Way to go!
Key words ; "struggle to keep up with the R3 at its limit.
Be careful out there!

Ya, I normally don't push quite so hard, but being a new bike I really wanted to find the edge of the tire so I had an idea of what the bike is capable of. For the same reason I deliberately got the ABS to activate both front and back, on up-hills, down-hills and flat sections. I subscribe to the theory that knowing where the limit is makes you a safer rider/driver. Not necessarily because you always ride there, but because you know how close you are to it.

For the same reason I usually take my cars to autocross events when they are new and find out what they are capable of, not that you can usually get anywhere near it on the street, but it is good know.

You can push a Roadster a fair bit past the feelers touching down. Then out of the blue it will bite you hard. Best to just ease up a bit when things start getting ground away. Check up the front of the left hand peg rail, if it's been scraping you've been close.

The good thing about a Rocket is that you don't even have to push the limits in the corners to be fast on a windy road. Very few bikes can match your acceleration out of a corner or in the straights. Trust me, I've tried it. :D

You can push a Roadster a fair bit past the feelers touching down. Then out of the blue it will bite you hard. Best to just ease up a bit when things start getting ground away. Check up the front of the left hand peg rail, if it's been scraping you've been close.

Ihanks for the info. That is the only way I want to know.;)

Back