Rocket X #493 - Reporting to the Forums :D

Blown3UR

.020 Over
Ride
15' Triumph Rocket X
G'd Day Ladies and Gents...

After lurking for quite some time, i finally decided to man up, bite the bullet and pick up an X!!!

Coming from the Adventure Bike Scene having owned 3 different bikes over the last two years, the switch to a muscle cruiser is quite a radical change, especially from someone who loves twisties and spirited riding, while absolutely despizing Chrome trim and Harley Davidson (with no offence to anyone who has one... Just not my cup of tea).

Our BMW/KTM dealer also carries Triumph (along with Ducati, Aprilia/Piaggio, and Moto Guzzi).. Prior to the Rocket, i had a 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure - It was generally a horrible experience as it was plagued with the dreaded front wheel wobble issue which seems to be common with these new full size KTM adventure bikes. The issue was highlighted a few days into my ownership and the dealership initiated the investigation of finding the root cause (with no luck - more on that later).

I had secretly been admiring the Rocket 3 Roadster but thought it wouldnt fit my bill being a cruiser and keeping in mind my previous view on the latter. Anyhow, the KTM went in for its first service and i was offered a 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster to demo.. Being 6'5 300lbs, i felt at home as soon as i rode out of the dealership.

The research began right away and my mind was set on a Rocket X but i either wanted one of the first or last 10 produced and they could only offer #463, or #436. One day, i got a call from the salesperson i deal with and she informed me that they got #493 in and the deal was done right away! The KTM was traded in.

I've only managed to log around 100 miles on the bike and my observations are as follow. The character is second to none.. Compared tot he 2014 i demoed which had the original Triumph Windscreen, wind seems to be an issue with the stock rocket x windshield however, fitting the accessory windscreen will hurt the X's appearance; which takes us to my next issue. My other bike is a 2014 Kawasaki ZX14R and i am in love with the power that thing puts out even stock as it currently is... I would like to slightly modify the Rocket, perhaps a Reband black exhaust and tune but am worried again about hurting the appearance... What are your thoughts on this? shall i get used to it stock or venture off and has any rocket X owner started modifying? Lastly.. in 100 miles, i've managed to scrape the pegs 3 times (mostly on the right side).. Has anyone fitted higher clearance pegs of some sort? i am not looking for SS lean angles but would like an extra 2 inches or so.

My apologeis for the long post... I always get carried away with introductions especially after lurking for so long.. Looking forward to interacting more on this board and getting better acquainted with you lot.

Mo

Attachments

• IMG-20150903-WA000.jpg
    IMG-20150903-WA000.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20150906_210719.jpg
    IMG_20150906_210719.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150906_230815.jpg
    IMG_20150906_230815.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150906_230759.jpg
    IMG_20150906_230759.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150906_210803.jpg
    IMG_20150906_210803.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150906_211237.jpg
    IMG_20150906_211237.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150725_051113.jpg
    IMG_20150725_051113.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase. Although I generally subscribe to the principle that you should make your bike your own, I believe (and I know I'm in a bit of a minority here) that the value of the 'X' lies in it's uniqueness. I can't really see the point in spending the extra money on a bike that is different to the others and then modding to be like any other modded Rocket. Of course changing the exhaust is easily reversible and there are a couple of good black options, such as Reband and CES. Bottom line; it's your bike and you should do what you want to it. Just do us all a favour and don't get upset (like some have) if not everyone likes what you do. If you ask for opinions, be prepared to get them. Enjoy your ride.

By the way, I work at a Triumph shop and just sold #485 today.

Welcome aboard. I am surprised Triumph doe snot have a Rocket X fly screen with the same stripe. I can not help you with the peg stuff maybe you could adapt the Raask rear sets or I remember TTS made a set. I have had my Classic for 10 years and have never scraped the floor boards. But then I am not the best in the twisty's. I just go thru them and if there is room between them I make up any distance with Horse Power something a muscle bike is good for :D

@warp9.9 Simple reason there's not an 'X' flyscreen with the stripe is that the stripe on the tank and guards is a grind finish and the fly screen isn't metal. It is still different though because it is jet black rather than phantom black.

@warp9.9 Simple reason there's not an 'X' flyscreen with the stripe is that the stripe on the tank and guards is a grind finish and the fly screen isn't metal. It is still different though because it is jet black rather than phantom black.
AH they have not used jet black since 06 who knows maybe they will go full circle now and add color back to the bike. :)

G'day and welcome. If you do get after market pipes, then keep your originals as you may want to return it to original if you ever sell it. Black Rebands or CES pipes would look great, and with a Ramair filter (or triple filters) and a decent tune, would wake up the beasty within.

I think that you would also be one of the few members from Qatar. Is it your home country or are you there for work?

Hi Mo & welcome to a good bunch of guys (except for those troublesome Aussies) :p
No disrespect to R3X owners but I fail to see the allure of the 'X'
Seems to me they are yet another paint job marketing ploy but with a number to make them appear special.
Do they have any sooper dooper parts, go any faster, stop any quicker, handle better ? than previous R3's
Leave it stock or Mod the hell out of it, personally I would do the latter.
Just make it your own & enjoy:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back