Rocket Won't Start

baadactor

Supercharged
Ride
'05 Rocket 3
...for the first time since I brought her home in 2010?

There's a funny noise when I turn the key- something not too unlike a starter trying to turn but without the energy to do so. After a second or two, the gauge sweeps like normal. I'm thinking there's a bit of corrosion in one of the connections, but this is the first time I've had to lift the tank. Stock Rocket iii 2005 vintage, with GI-Pro.

Plan to pull and inspect all connectors under tank, clean as necessary, dielectric grease, reconnect. Can anyone show me the must be clean to start connectors?

Thanks, all, for input.

Sounds as if the battery might have gone Tits Up. But I had something similar when my earth strap was not 100% tight.
New battery this season, and no change whatsoever when using boosting cables. Where's the earth strap to the bike? Do you mean the negative battery lead?

This bike is not garaged, but kept under a bike cover in season, so I am suspecting some bit of fouling somewhere...

Oh, after gauge sweeps, the starter turns and... no attempt to fire, none at all.

If the starter spins at normal speed I would check the fuel pump as it whirs when the key is first turned on.
Connections to the fuel pump appear clean and dry, but you are suggesting what I'm thinking. How to "check the fuel pump as it whirs"? What do you mean? That's when I hear the clicking.

The earth strap is the negative lead ,it runs from the battery and bolts to the engine at the rear case but if it's turnin over I don't think that's yer problem . Have you checked yer fuses?

Where is the clicking noise comin from? Can you hear the noise before you push the starter button?

Where is the clicking noise comin from? Can you hear the noise before you push the starter button?

Yes, fuses are all okay.

Clicking and interrupted buzzing seem to be coming from this unit here when the key is turned and before the starter is pressed. The normal starting sequence noises are slightly different, changed.

I dropped a small clip holding connectors together as I was attempting to return it to its place somewhere behind the plenum, fuel rail. Bummer.
2017-08-16 16.16.26.jpg

Here's a youtube video/sound file for those with a musical ear. I cannot describe how the start sequence is different, but this is what t sounds like now when I turn the key. Bike will turn over as usual, but no attempt to actually start. The interrupted buzzing is definitely coming from this unit. No fuel to engine?

When you turn the key on and turn on the kill switch, the Idle steper will wiggle back and forth to test itself and get the throttle plates aligned, that's the clickety clack you may hear. The fuel pump may also whir to build pressure but will stop once the pressure is up, unless the engine cranks...but when it does you will never hear fuel pump over the engine thereafter. If all the preliminary checks are going on, but there's no crank then your battery connections are the FIRST thing to suspect. And they do need to be quite tight on Rockets. Might as well look for the far ends and cinch them up too. Although I suspect the battery end is what's loose since they have been off to replace the battery.

Back