rocket wont start

wyorocket

Standard Bore
2008 rocket wont start, no spark no fuel injectors. Dealer charged $500 and they knew nothing. I have self diagnosed with schematic and maunal, checked most everything. Started turns motor over, fuel pump, lights kickstand, gear indicator, relays,etc. I checked cranksensor. I attached diagnostic software and have no codes presently. When the unit first would not start it showed error code for 2 coils. And they check ok. In checking out the schematic, terminals B08 & B09(grounds for the ECU)on the connector for the ECU show that they should be directly to ground without any devices in between. When checking for resistance I show no resistance to ground as it should be. But when I turn on the ignition switch, the resistance for both B08 and B09 have 370ohms of resistance. Does anyone have an explanation for this or know where these 2 black wires terminate at on the cycle? Or other things to check? TY

hey wyorocket, welcome aboard. wyoming rocket captains.......... the few, the proud!! cant help you with that issue you got as i am no mechanic, but there are a bunch of savey dudes on this website who are in the know about all that ****!! you came to the right place. hey were neighbors, yer only 280 miles from me.:):D

It could be the primary TPS. It often checks okay with the Triumph diagnostic tool even when it is not working correctly. If you don't have TuneECU, then download it (or put it on your Droid from the Play Store), and get the correct cable (or Bluetooth connector as an option for your Droid). This software will not only do the diagnostics, but also allow you to tune (or install a tune in) your bike. Even more importantly at the moment, it will let you set the Primary TPS to its correct setting. This is a 5 minute job. If that fixes the problem, but the problem then returns, then the TPS is dead and you will need about $130 for a new one. The original one in your bike has black innards. The new, better made, unit is blue inside.

see what i mean wyo?! these blokes know wtf is goin on with these beasts. by the way, wtf is a bloke tomcat? just kidding!! life is good on a rocket and otherwise.

if you give it a shot of starting fluid in the filter and it comes to life you have a fuel problem if it does not do anything then you need to check to see if it is firing the plugs. you can do this by removing one of the wires to the spark plug and connect it to a spark plug ground the plug crank the motor and watch for the spark.
if you can determine either spark or fuel you have cut your problem in half.

Back