Rocket Touring and sidecar?

Carey J

.020 Over
Is anyone aware of a new Touring fitted with a sidecar? I know Watsonian Squires have a unit and fittings for a Rocket 3 but given the Touring has been touted as having a completely 'new' frame etc and shares the engine only in common with the 3 and Classic, I wonder if they have progressed to the new model yet. Don't bother emailing them, they don't seem to be interested in responding. Regards Carey J.

The motor, engine mounts front and back is the same, on all models if they mount elsewhere then you will be in trouble due to the bags in the back...

HEAD

I don't know where you are located at, but Motorvation Engineering in Sibley, Iowa can fit a chair to the R3, while you wait.

There are a couple of problems, however. The R3 has a lack of trail and that will require a leading link front fork (Earles type) or a set of re-machined upper and lower trees to increase the rake. The R3 is frameless, that is, the engine is a stressed member of the frame itself and that will necessitate special mounts to be fabricated.

Personally, I think the Watsonian is uglier than a mud fence, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've seen a couple of Rocks with tubs attached and n one of them are beauty queens.

Rocket and chair

Thanks for your thoughts, I am in Australia, and obviously limited in what is on offer sidecar wise so am looking to import, I have seen some nice units in the US but not sure if anyone there will make a left hand chair for me. I have seen some lovely models on Sidecar.com and the exchange rate is good at this time but really have not explored that option. I have a K100RT with a 'DJP' sidecar that is Australian made but want something a little better finished, and smarter in appearance for a new Rocket Tourer I have on order, limited number coming to Australia and have had to order the colour I want from the UK. I was going to run it for several months and see what happens warranty wise before fitting a chair so whilst I was looking at a Watsonian GP700 model thats not set in mud (concrete) at this time. I agree with the comment about R3's not winning the glamour stakes but think the Tourer is a different proposition, they seem much more balanced or symmetrical in appearance than the other models and may well suit a sidecar. Anyway again thanks for your comments Regards Carey Johnson

"Found one"

Evening all, have settled on an EZS Munro sidecar from Holland, no agents etc in Australia so intend importing myself. TRT3 black with black may change your mind Flip! Regards Carey

No sure if anyone understood the gyst of my post, is anyone aware of a Rocket 3 Tourer with a sidecar?

Regards Carey

Somewhere on the site is an R3 standard with a (I believe Velorex) installed). I understood your post perfectly....they don't exist. One thing you'll find is that because of the lack of trail in the front end geometry, you'll have to either go to a leading link front suspension (which are ugly), have a set of upper and lower triple clamps re-machined for more trail or install a large hydraulic steering damper (like I did with the Bonnie). Head shake with a chair attached will be very pronounced between 20 and 30 mph, especially when braking (when the forks are compressed a bit). With an Earls type leading link setup, the front end actually rises during braking, just the opposite of telescopic forks. Your tire wear will be dismal as well. I'd suggest going to a car tire on both ends as you won't be leaning the bike anymore, rather you'll be steering the bike except when flying the chair on right hand decreasing radius turns (depending on which side it's mounted on).

If, you have no experience with an outfit, I strongly suggest purchasing Dr. Hal Kendall's book or CD on setting up the outfit and riding techniques. Sidecar outfits have very peculiar handling traits. Someone not experienced with a sidecar outfit, riding down a road, could easily wind up in the ditch or worse.

Toe-in and lean-out are critical in determining how an outfit handles as well as the rigidity of the mount itself. In as much as the R3 has no lower frame (the engine is a stressed member and the frame is really a backbone spine with a rear sub frame ((semi-monocoque construction)), sub frame construction and execution is critical. The torsional forces generated when turning the chair, especially against the direction of travel of the motorcycle itself, are considerable. A poorly designed sub frame and poor execution will be prone to failure and disastrous consequences.

Touring with side car

I have a sidecar on my rocket 3 Touring and find no need for leading link, steering damper nor finding a mounting position. I am currently going to fit a DJP to it and plan to dispose of the Dusting body on my home made frame. Is anyone having questions since the old postings on this site?

Back