Rocket Roadster Tire Dope

1olbull

Riding Motor Since 1950
Ride
2012 R3R "Kong" - 2011 R3R "YurMama"
I have just completed a new comparison of data from the OEM tire sizes to the alternate tire sizes available. For the Rocket Roadster, I ride and recommend a rear Michelin Road 6 in 150/70R17 run backwards for the front with the 240/55R16 ExedraMax rear . There are no ABS fault issues with these circumference ratios and handling is MUCH improved! Affects regarding axle heights, circumferences & aspect ratios can be read and seen in the scale drawings. For your convenience, I have also calculated the circumference percentage differences of various tire combinations for determining ABS fault ratios (about 6%). I also added my Existing Tire Choices Data sheet.

Comparison-of-R3R-Tire-Sizes.jpg
Possible-Rocket-Roadster-Tires.jpg

Last edited:
so you will wear out a front 140/75/17 faster and also wear out the bearing faster as the front wheel is spinning faster at same speed mmmm :whitstling:

I just received an Avon 140/75/17 from Rocky Mountain ATV based on the posts here. I figure it is worth a go. I paid $106.75 by the way. I will let you know my thoughts on the difference in tires when I mount the tire and ride the bike in a week or so.

so you will wear out a front 140/75/17 faster and also wear out the bearing faster as the front wheel is spinning faster at same speed mmmm :whitstling:

Interesting comment, M8! :D
The 201.6 cm circumference is 95.5% of the 150 tire. :cool:
I doubt the additional wear would be enough for anyone to notice! :p
Was your remark "CHEEKY"??? :roll:

YOU I DONT REALLY CARE HOW LONG IT LAST AS LONG AS IT HOLDS ON IN ALL CONDITIONS I often take a tyre of when it hits the the wear bars or feel it is not 100% safe the Dunlop Elite 3 in a 17/80/17 which grips better and feeds back better than Avon 170/80/17 or the Michelin Commander 140/75/17, It is the first tyre I have actually worn down further, it was only I happen notice I had gone down to almost no thread grove but still felt good to ride, the milage is more than the Avon but that is possibly partly due also as I found the Avon to go off once it was getting close to wear bars, I wont ride on a tyre that does not feel right

@1olbull Thanks for all the research and sharing my friend.

I never liked the Night Dragon rear I had on a previous bike, it was slippery until you got it warm. I think I may try the front when I need one. Not seen much about it on here.

Anyone found the excedra max tee for less then Rocky Mountain? They've it for 160ish.

I've read very good things about the Pirelli front tire on other similar weight bikes, with the stipulation that it wears quickly.

Remember Pirelli = Metzler = Pirelli literally the same company, and they've made at least one set for each company using the same rubber with only the tread pattern changed.

That said, I'm quite happy with my Avons F/R, using a 140/75 up front.

I just received an Avon 140/75/17 from Rocky Mountain ATV based on the posts here. I figure it is worth a go. I paid $106.75 by the way. I will let you know my thoughts on the difference in tires when I mount the tire and ride the bike in a week or so.

Pretty sure you shall enjoy the improvement in handling! :thumbsup:
BTW - I forgot to insert the tire size v. speed data and have edited my original post. :oops:

Anyone found the excedra max tee for less then Rocky Mountain? They've it for 160ish.
I've read very good things about the Pirelli front tire on other similar weight bikes, with the stipulation that it wears quickly.
Remember Pirelli = Metzler = Pirelli literally the same company, and they've made at least one set for each company using the same rubber with only the tread pattern changed.
That said, I'm quite happy with my Avons F/R, using a 140/75 up front.

I did NOT know Metzeler and Pirelli were the same company! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back