Kevm

.040 Over
Ride
2012 Roadster
If you're thinking of touring on your R3, especially to Spain, just do it. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip around Spain on my R3 Roadster. I started and finished in Bilbao via Almeria (where I stayed for a week) and a few other places including Zaragoza, Toledo, Madrid (by accident) Ubeda and the Picos de Europa.

The Rocket performed flawlessly and I can't think of another bike I'd rather have taken (and I've toured on all sorts). Some things I learned about the bike:

• It's all-day comfortable. I hear some folk complain about the seat but it's by a distance the most comfy bike I've had
  • It gets very, very hot, and so does my right thigh/buttock
  • The pegs do ground, but not too easily
  • Fuel consumption? Yes, it consumes fuel ;)
  • People don't really know what to make of it and hardly anyone knows what it is
Here's a couple of pictures

DSCF1108.JPG

DSCF1105.JPG

And some video of me wobbling round the different types of roads in Spain.

Last edited:
If you're thinking of touring on your R3, especially to Spain, just do it. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip around Spain on my R3 Roadster. I started and finished in Bilbao via Almeria (where I stayed for a week) and a few other places including Zaragoza, Toledo, Madrid (by accident) Ubeda and the Picos de Europa.

The Rocket performed flawlessly and I can't think of another bike I'd rather have taken (and I've toured on all sorts). Some things I learned about the bike:

• It's all-day comfortable. I hear some folk complain about the seat but it's by a distance the most comfy bike I've had
  • People don't really know what to make of it and hardly anyone knows what it is

DSCF1108.JPG

DSCF1105.JPG

tbc

Lucky you, looks like a great time. I didn't see any video; is it just me?

DSCF1108.JPG

DSCF1105.JPG

tbc
so how did you get home from bilbao

I shall be visiting spain and portugal next summer with my roadster any specific road you recommend ( using michelin maps)

I shall be visiting spain and portugal next summer with my roadster any specific road you recommend ( using michelin maps)[/QUOTE]
so how did you get home from bilbao

By boat, to Portsmouth. It's expensive and a bit boring but the alternative is a long drive through France. In terms of routes in Spain, it depends what you want and where you want to go. The obvious choices are the Pyrenees or any of the hills along the north coast like the Picos. Central Spain is mostly quite flat. Further south/east it gets hilly again and if you want to venture further the Sierra Nevada is spectacular. I've never been to the west apart from the north coast nor the far south. I had a particular destination because I was meeting up with my family near Almeria so I just got the Michelin map and picked out what looked like nice roads (the ones highlighted in green). I checked it out on google earth too, booked some Airbnbs and off I went.

I shall be visiting spain and portugal next summer with my roadster any specific road you recommend ( using michelin maps)
[/QUOTE]

ok thanks for the input I was based in spain in 2000 , was flying for IBERIA then, but did not see it from the ground
I plan on riding the pyreene ,ride the north coat of spain to oviedo , then south to portugal riding through Salamanca and back , been to almeria not much to see there if I remember. skip madrid and barcelona altogether . and yes will get the michelin maps best for bikers ,

@albertaduke
Patrick, there is a new-fangled contraption these days called a GPS! :eek:
Check it out! :p
indeed BUT the michelin maps highlight all the scenic routes and shows the actual twist and turns of secondary roads ..best for planning . worked perfectly in 2010 why change a system I trust ;)

Back