Rocket III Touring ABS Alarm and Immobilizer

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I'm on vacation now and don't have access to my new 2015 Rocket III Touring ABS so I can't check this out until I get home next week but I'm curious about something. An online review says that late model R3T's have an alarm and immobilizer as standard equipment. Is that true? If so, how do they work? What condition sets off the alarm and how does the immobilizer work? It's funny but, now that I think about it, I'm not even sure what sets off the alarms on my SUV and truck. I just never gave it any thought until now. The owner's manual that I downloaded from the Triumph site only mentions that the alarm is an accessory - presumably an option - but it says nothing else. If my bike came with an alarm and immobilizer the manual is probably just not up-to-date. The dealer didn't have a hard copy manual for me at delivery so he ordered one but I can't check that until I get it. The Triumph website does say the bike comes with an immobilizer but I don't see any mention of it in the digital manual.

Anyway, I'm just curious about these two things.

Last edited:
Immobilizer has been pretty standard in the industry (cars) since 1995 . . . it's when they put chips in the key, and if YOUR key is not in the ignition, and trades crypto codes with the ECU, the ECU will not allow the motor to run. Basically, electronic fuel injection allowed this aspect of technology. In the old days, people would install a hidden switch somewhere that ground out the coil, or blocked the fuel pump.

Bottom line for all of this is, if someone wants it bad enough, and they can get to a vehicle, there's not much to be done about it left alone.

I have a cousin who took his wife to dinner at a fast food place in Denver, and didn't have the bike in view, and when they came out, folks told them, "Oh yeah, we saw it. Them guys came with a pickup truck and put the bike in there. We thought it was broken down and somebody came and got it."

Interesting about the alarm. I wonder about that too.

Some of the more recent triumph rsnge - Street triple,tiger etc - have a true ECU immobilizer ;
The Rocket does not however and only has capability for the optional accessory alarm;
(All Triumphs are pre-wired for this alarm)
Although that accessory alarm (made by Datatool) is said to have an immobilizer, what it actually does is simply open an interlock in the ignition wiring circuit;
This interlock is satisfied by a simple jumper on the non-alarm bikes;
So can be defeated by applying same jumper or simply hot-wiring to a point down-stream.
A true ECU-Immobilizer MUST see the RFID code from the key otherwise it will disable essential ECU functions that cannot be simply bypassed
So it is extremely difficult get around

Scorpio also makes alarms that are plug and play with the Triumph connectors (or at least I assume that their Triumph connector kit will fit, though not 100% sure tbh). Personally, I'd much rather get one of theirs than a Datatool. Opens up for options like their RIDE system if you want to GPS track yourself, and their microwave proximity detectors (ie, the alarm starts off before people even touch the bike and chirps if people hang around too close for too long).

But built-in alarms and immobilizers, nope. Option to add alarm, though, yep. :)

Secure | Scorpio

The Scorpio would have prevented the pick-up thieves from getting away with it, assuming the owners of the bike were within half a mile of it; the Scorpio remote would have informed the owner someone was messing with his ride.

Scorpio also makes alarms that are plug and play with the Triumph connectors (or at least I assume that their Triumph connector kit will fit, though not 100% sure tbh) .... Opens up for options like their RIDE system if you want to GPS track yourself, ......

Note that the Triumph harness is only available with the Scorpio Alarms, NOT with their RIDE (GPS) systems
Also, their 'immobilizer' ($30 relay!!!) is not integrated to the connector plug, that needs to be user-wired.
It is also not std, but an optional extra.

Thanks, guys. I'm wondering if Triumph made an immobilizer standard in just the last year or two. The reason I say that is that the Triumph site says the following for R3 bikes:

"IMMOBILISER
As a premium flagship motorcycle we equipped the Rocket III Touring with an immobiliser as standard."

I should have realized that it's the special coded key that works with the immobilizer. I guess my brain was asleep! The odd thing, though, is that the third key that comes with the bike (the small one without the normal "handle" couldn't be coded. I wish I was home right now to check this out. Oh well, I'll be home in a few days.

BTW, I would never depend on an immobilizer or alarm to prevent anything from being stolen. I was just curious about this.

In any case, since the Triumph website does say the R3's now have immobilizers as standard equipment, does anyone know if that's true or an inaccurate statement and, if they do come with the immobilizer as standard equipment, how could the small spare (handleless) key start the bike? Then again, maybe that small key only unlocks the panniers. Again, I wish I was home to check. I'm just curious.

"IMMOBILISER
As a premium flagship motorcycle we equipped the Rocket III Touring with an immobiliser as standard."

Where did you see this? I can't see any reference to it on the Triumph site under the R3 model
However, as comparison, I looked to the Street Triple (which I KNOW has it) and it specifically calls this out
But at the same time, it also says
"In common with all Triumphs, the Street Triple is protected at standstill by a coded-key immobiliser system"

It would make sense that the Rocket has gone to the same system (incl ECU) as used on other models.
Per the various on-line parts fiche I do not (yet) see it however.

... My13 R3T came with a key chip immobliser ....

Hmm - hate to doubt you, but I really don't think so.
I've successfully provided key-less kits for 2014 Touring (and Roadster) and it is not possible to get around the ECU* Immobiliser, so pretty confident it is not on the 2014, let alone 2013
Also if on the 2013, it would certainly be in the Parts Fiche - it's just not there.

*Interestingly with Android version of TuneECU you can disable the Immobiliser on Ducatis - that option is not available for the Triumph models however.

You may be right,it was on my build sheet,and as it was I provided it to my insurance to chip away at the rate. Who knows,could be like some of the U.S. ABS bikes that don't have ABS.

Back