Rocket III questions - buying soon

MrBig

Standard Bore
I haven't finished negotiating with the dealer yet and have some questions before I sign. I'm looking at a Classic 2008 or 2009 and have heard about the rear suspension being very rough on the highways. I also saw that Triumph offers an upgrade "Comfort Touring Suspension Pak". What's in this pak and is the rough suspension really an issue?

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Has anyone put on hard panniers?

I haven't finished negotiating with the dealer yet and have some questions before I sign. I'm looking at a Classic 2008 or 2009 and have heard about the rear suspension being very rough on the highways. I also saw that Triumph offers an upgrade "Comfort Touring Suspension Pak". What's in this pak and is the rough suspension really an issue?

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Has anyone put on hard panniers?

It's just different shocks and they are offered for the R3 not the classic. I don't see the difference. Ask your dealer if they will go on the Classic. I haven't seen anything about how these shocks work. Most people replace the stock shows with Progressive 440's.

Actually, the stock shocks are just really hard. I would imagine highway is better than around town with potholes and bumps. Why not just try the stock shocks on a low setting and see how they work before spending $400?

Welcome to our little corner of the cyberverse.
The only hard bags I'm aware of for a standard or classic are the beetlebags.
pricey, but they fit apparently.
there's always the option of the R3T which comes with OEM hard bags.
Make sure you get the one you like,
you can costomize it to your taste if you want to later.

Welcome to the site. Im going out a limb and assuming MrBig is an inference to stature. If that be the case Ill go further out on the limb and state the stock shocks will work just fine for you; until youve tried the 1-5 settings and find you need more spring. The Progressive 440s are often the preferred route taken. Im a light weight 235# and stocks shocks work mighty fine. I will assume the optional shocks for the R3 vs Classic, Im unfamiliar with the offering, are the difference between trim or stocky; and, single sport versus coupled or fully packed tourer operandi.

There are several hard bag applications; and mounting hardware routes. I run OEM leather panniers with OEM fixed mounts.

Last edited:
K-Drive bags are good and much cheaper than Corbins. If you choose the synthetic material option, it looks like leather and they are rigid. They are also quickly detachable.

Actually Mr Big goes back to the Rocky & Bullwinkle days. But I'm also 242 # and 6'1" so I guess I'm also big.

Thanks for all the info on shocks and bags. Seems like it comes down to the final price. I'm in Toronto. Would love to get the US price. I've heard of importing the bike from the US but no warranty here. If I buy used I may take the import option, a big saving.

Back