Rocket III motor in a car?

Tazshido

.040 Over
In an undisclosed location in the Middle East.
A few years ago I drove a beat up 69 Triumph Spitfire. What an absolute blast to drive. The only real problem was a lack of power. The pitiful little motor only made about 60 HP stock and had almost no torque to speak of. So many people have wedged V-8s and V-6s into them it got me thinking, what about dropping an engine/transmission from a Rocket into a little car like that? It's got twice the power and three times the torque of the car's four banger. The tires are not that different in diameter and the diff gears can be changed to accomodate and changes that need to be made. I like the synergy of putting a modern Triumph moter into an older triumph car. What do you think? Feasible or not?

Keep your eyes open for a Triumph Stag they came with a V8 standard, still piss poor power but a V8 none the less. Unless you live in a rust free state I would forget about a spitfire they are pure rust buckets , heinz beans cans were thicker metal than that used on the spitfires.:eek:

I happen to be THAT lucky

First, that Smart is not a car, it's a go-cart. Can you imagine a trip in that thing sitting next to GXSR1300 motor?

Next, I live in Wyoming you don't get any dryer and more rust free except for certain parts of Utah and Arizone. My Spitfire is still almost rust free and it's never been restored. (A friend still owns it). I hadn't thought of the problems with the clutch but to be fair, at 6 1/4" the stock dry clutch in it wasn't any great shakes. If I ever get to going on the idea I'll definately have a butt-load of pics.

Keep your eyes open for a Triumph Stag they came with a V8 standard, still piss poor power but a V8 none the less. Unless you live in a rust free state I would forget about a spitfire they are pure rust buckets , heinz beans cans were thicker metal than that used on the spitfires.:eek:
Yeah, but the stag is fugly, lol !

Yeah, but the stag is fugly, lol ! I’ve got a 76 spit. The tilt front-end and body styling beats the stag, without a second thought. I’ll never understand some guys and nerd looking cars, lol ? Fugly doesn’t mean attractive.

Back