Rocket engine design history?

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
I was wondering if any of you all out there, know the history of the Rocket engine, from it's very beginning? Sometimes it almost looks like the engine was designed for something else than a motorcycle. Or maybe first thoughts were to place it sideways in a frame. The exhaust looks like a quick solution to a problem that wasn't noticed until too late in the design. Where as if the engine were mounted sideways, a free flowing exhaust would be no problem. Just curious, that's all. I'll do some more searching, and post if I find anything interesting. BTW, I just turned 65, and I am the proud owner of 2 Triumph "update" kits" sitting on the shelf, for my 2013, now with 10,000 miles on. So, I do plan on keeping my Rocket for the rest of my life!

@cootertwo
Thanks for that informative link.
Learned lots and got a chuckle that you answered your own thread! :thumbsup:

A little bit more info.
Each piston measures over 4 inches across-the same as a Dodge Viper-giving each cylinder more displacement than an entire GSXR-750.

Happy Birthday @cootertwo. As long as you do keep the rocket running, you should give us at least another 65 birthdays...

Someone tried to tell me that the Rocket engine was based on their smaller triples by enlarging the blueprints and turning the engine around so it was inline. The teller of this story claimed the engine was then too powerful so they had to detune it for the R3 .
I've had a look at a few triumph triples and the R3 triple seems to bear no resemblance to the others, so I think the story teller was just talking bull****.

Back