CvSisinthehouse

Supercharged
It finally happened, my 19 year streak of no major accidents is over. This lady pulled in front of me and her car stalled (I think) and I couldnt swerve around her in time. Just found out today the bike is totaled. So I have a decision to make. This is her insurance company's email from this morning cut and pasted:

"If you do not want to retain salvage
ACV $6,308.00
Tax $378.48 (6%)
Tag/Title Fee $110.00

Total Settlement Offer $6,796.48

If you want to retain salvage
ACV $6,308.00
Salvage Value: $2,150.00
Tax $378.48
Tag/Title Fee $110.00

Total Settlement Offer $4,646.48"

I didnt get a parts needed list but I know it is at least:

Front fork, wheel and tire
Gas tank
1 mirror
Jardine exhaust was pretty scraped up, so that too I guess.
Right footpeg broke off

I asked for a parts needed list, will post any more info I get. The guy said the frame was not bent. I will talk to my bike shop tomorrow, they are closed today. I am not really a project guy, but parts are somewhat easy to install if they are the right parts right?

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

Take the money and run. You would struggle to get that for it before the crash with apparent prices and comments in forum threads about resale values etc. It would be a fair bit of work to find the bits 2nd hand and then the risk of finding issues or wear etc with them before you even get them fitted.

There are some great running replacements out there and on the forum.

Bad news, CvS, but if you walked away reasonably unhurt and your R3 was mostly stock, I agree with Ishrub - take the $$$ and don't look back, ceptin' for when your whipping past all the two-wheeled trolls and squids on your new(er) Rocket, that is!;)

ASSUMING the rest of the bike is ok, $2100 is not bad value to buy it back and part it out.

I'm sorry for your situation! Could happen to any of us! I had 1 car and a unmarked black chevy suburban pull out in front of me in less than a week! looked like an unmarked !I hope the the cop was looking in his mirror so he could see the bird i shot him! I'm not a cop basher but d***n that! Had to lock up but recovered!

Back