Rocket Crashed and Totaled

Mike

American Legion Rider
Ride
2015 R3T
I am no longer a Rocket Captain, I crashed out on a group ride Wednesday the 24th. I was on my American Legion Legacy run along with 350 others in Tennessee when fate caught up with me. Typical large group oscillation's compressed the line in a very sudden motion, worse then any others on the trip, and I was unable to stop in the 2 second gap I had. The front tire hit the saddle bag of the bike in front of me, the wheel twisted and that is all I remember. When I came too, I think 3-5 minutes later, County PD and everyone was there and the ambulance was arriving. I was able to walk to the ambulance and take the ride to ER. X-rays and a CT scan later I was told I only broke 2 ribs, high up behind my left shoulder blade. other then the usual road rash, not to bad. My helmet did its job, I am waiting to see it as I am told it is toasted, as it should be. The left side of the bike is shot, fuel tank, radiator, fender, floorboard and shifter, windscreen, turn signal and saddle bag. The handle bar end cap is untouched. I am waiting for the official insurance notification but they figured it was totaled as cost of repair vs value on a 05 Rocket Classic with 52000 miles.
Now for the decision to replace or not...wife is suggesting a trike. I am not quite to that point.
No moral to the story, just **** glad the helmet was on or this would be an obit by someone else.

I'm glad you are ok Mike. Overall that is what is most important. What are you going to replace the Rocket with? Any reason why you wouldn't get another Rocket?

Glad you are okay it could have been a lot worse, now the cause you said it in the first two lines--- 350 other riders-- in my experience a lot of riders at these events are weekend warriors all they do is polish the bike for a run a few times a year ---was any drinking involved--- and riding in a group where you probably did not know the riders around you sad to say but you put any two of them together and you have an accident waiting to happen .

I have no reason to not get another Rocket, that would be my 1st choice. The fly in the ointment is the wifey thinking tryke, that way she can ride along, which creates its own set of potential problems:confused:. I am thinking a low mileage used R3 would still be the best, or just pop for a unsold new one. Either way I think I would come out OK.
As to the group riding, I totally agree with the comments. I raised the spacing issue a few times on this ride, I ended up getting stung. The smart move would be to do no more of these, or just ride separate of the group and arrive at the destinations a wee bit late, but safe. I am waiting for the helmet and the rest of my baggage to arrive in a bit as I want to see the helmet. I just might post a pix if it looks as bad as I was told.

Glad you were wearing your lid! Usually see group rides and not a helmet in the group. Sorry for your loss...and especially broken ribs....that's NO fun. A used Rocket is the best value in motorcycling. Get your wife a Bonnie!

Back