Rocket charging problems

bigern2300

.060 Over
Hey Guys,
Well, the ole' Rocket is at it again giving me fits! I reciently installed the engine update kit after my output shaft bearing failed, at no cost to me except my labor and time, and now a couple of months later, the charging system has taked a dump. Tried changing out the voltage rectifyer, but no luck. I pulled the starter and made sure the charging rotor wasn't rubbing the stator wiring and everything looked good there. Worthless factory manual doesn't give any specs for checking the altenator assembly as far as output specs. I think the rockect systems are a 3 phase system, not sure though. I do get some charging voltage, (around 12.4V) but not what it should be. I even tried it with a different battery with no luck. All connections look good and are doped with Dielectic grease. What i need to know is the output specs on the stator. Thanks, Bigern

BigErn if you cannot figure it out how in hell do you expect us pee-ons to do it? you have stripped the rocket engine apart and rebuilt more times then any triumph mechanic in America.
Did Triumph give you the upgrade parts and did Dink help you? also you have been in exile to long time to come home to Fort Walton Beach.:D

When the output shaft bearing let go, i called Dink and he in turn called Triumph with my engine serial number and a couple of weeks later i had a complete update kit sitting on my doorstep free of charge. Pretty good for a bike three years out of warranty. I just had to do all the labor myself. It was a mess though, metal shrapnel all thoughout the motor to the point i had to replace the rod and crank bearings. I had to call Dink a couple of times on some issues that didn't click. Now i've got this charging system issue which i could easily diagnoise if i had some specs.
I've been on the road truck driving again keeping me pretty busy. Hopefully one of these days i'll get back down to Florida.

Well...it's not a charging problem, but a ground issue somewhere in the harness which is causing the voltage rectifyer to loose ground. On the battery ground cable, there is a smaller accessory ground wire that comes off the cable at the battery connection. A couple of inches down there is a plastic quick disconnect before the accessory ground disappears into the harness. That connector was hot a hell as was the ground wire. I pulled off the plastic connectors and connected the bare terminals making sure they were tight but the connection still heats up. Somewhere in the harness a ground splice has come loose. What's worse, the factory manual doesn't even show the accessory wire as part of the ground cable or even where it gets its ground. This all explains cranking problems, problems with the horns not working and charging issues. Anyone want to buy an "05 Rocket...cheap! That Victory brand has been calling my name lately! Bigern

Good to hear the charging system is fine.

Run a 14-16ga wire from the battery ground to the engine and to the frame. Do not make it any longer than needed. Make this become your primary ground for all systems other than starting. This tends to fix many issues like yours.

I'm sure you already checked it but this is what happened to mine. I bought an 05
rocket that had a number of upgrades including a battery upgrade. Mine wasn't
charging so I started at the voltage regulator. Evidently when the battery was changed
one of the battery box mounting bolts was left out to make room the bigger battery.
That caused the harness that connects to the regulator to be pulled tight. I looked closer and was able to see the
that negative wire on the connector to the regulator had pulled out just enough to
not make cotact. I spliced more wire on to it to relieve the tension and was on the
road again. I hope your problem is that simple. Good Luck

I checked for continuity(?) on the accessory ground wire and also the ground wire to the RR and they are both showing lack of a complete ground. I appreciate the suggestions but I will most likely pull the harness and untape it and attempt to find the problem. Crap like that just bugs the hell out of me till i find the actual problem. A hot ground wire can end up burning up a whole harness which would really be bad. Oh yeah, also needed to know if anybody has noticed the relay that controls the start and headlights on circuit getting hot? May be just a result of the bad ground or the cause. Bigern

A Victory....egads:confused:.

Dennis

Left KAF yesterday
Arrived Dubai yesterday evening
In Dubai today (flight doesn't leave till Saturday morning at 12:05 am)
Tomorrow....Home
22 dtg Ray's (Ray will probably be arriving the 20th vice the 21st).

Back