Fred Becker

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 touring & 2007 Harley Dyna
My Rocket 3 Touring has had work done to her by motorcycle shop, Triumph dealer. But problem still exists. Surging while cruising at slow and high speeds and revs stay up for 5-8 seconds after pulling clutch in. I paid lots of money for it to get fixed. My bike had a tendency to not want to communicate with the Triumph dealers computer, taking negative lead off then on seemed to work a couple of times for them, however now it will not communicate at all with computer so they can't work on it. I rode it 150 ks to the shop and it ran better with 91 ron fuel in it the surging that is. Then shop said it's your wiring loom nackered, no it wasn't then it was your ECU is nackered. They keep telling me they have sent the ECU to Triumph Australia in Melbourne but never did and made up excuses as to why. So I told them I will pick the bike up in a few weeks and to have it running like it was to ride the 150 ks back. So what I'm looking for is a Rocket 3 Touring ECU from a wreck, rare as rocking horse **** in Australia, plenty of Roadster and Classic ECU's, which are a different tune to the Tourer and won't work too well I assume. Any ECU's for the Rocker Tourer laying around maybe.

Interesting question as to whether you could fit a standard or classic ECU to a tourer ? As far as I know the compression ratio and cams are the same. Maybe just loading a new tune to the existing ECU with TUNE ECU would do the trick. I'm sure someone with more knowhow about these things will be along soon. Dealers generally know Phuck all about Rockets.

Interesting comment re the surging. I get it a little, mainly at around 50 - 60 kmhr. I’ve no issues with revs staying high.

I do not think there would be any difference in the ECU only in the tune. I know on my 2015 Touring the ECU was detuned. I have uploaded a new tune and have a copy of my original tune. There are those on here with much more knowledge than me, but I do not think you will have a problem putting a roadster ECU in a Touring. You will have a hotter tune.

Am I correct all?

@Fred Becker - You need to update your location - loads of Aussie members on here with MASSES of experience. One maybe near you. And if all else fails the R3-Guru @Neville Lush is about. I'll bet that combined we have more idea what is going on than most dealers. We have far more hours of debugging invested.

Last edited:
Bloody hell, this sounds ominously like TPS and Tune ECU ... all fixed. I reckon that TPS units just get oxidised inside. Sitting on the shelf, bike washed at the dealers, sitting in damp atmospheres, could even be the alignment of the planets compared to the day it was built and now.
Where are you? plenty willing to help. Buy a cable from LonElec, hook it up, read the tune stuff on this site, PM @HansO, You will know 10 times more than a triumph mechanic, OH sorry a TRIUMPH TECHNICIAN, they changed their title when they started having smashed avocado for breakfast and installed Cappuccino machines in their Customer Lounges.
I digress, you can crimp connections, change fuel filters, change plugs, get really frustrated or get to know your tune and REPLACE the TPS. I had exactly the same symptoms the last ride I went on (3500k). Coming home the bike was bucking and being a bloody pain as I passed through towns. I came home .... bit the bullet and replaced the TPS (get one on EBay) ..... I have been riding to and from work for the pure pleasure of it ..... get a new bike .... get a new TPS and to be able to dial it in .... get Tune ECU.
The Sermon Endeth:)
Where are You?

Welcome from Maine, did you get your problem resolved? If you keep working your issue, people here will support you until you get it right. Connecting to the ECU for the first time can be intimidating, just take it slow and ask questions and more questions, these guys are great!

Hoopla

My Rocket 3 Touring has had work done to her by motorcycle shop, Triumph dealer. But problem still exists. Surging while cruising at slow and high speeds and revs stay up for 5-8 seconds after pulling clutch in. I paid lots of money for it to get fixed. My bike had a tendency to not want to communicate with the Triumph dealers computer, taking negative lead off then on seemed to work a couple of times for them, however now it will not communicate at all with computer so they can't work on it. I rode it 150 ks to the shop and it ran better with 91 ron fuel in it the surging that is. Then shop said it's your wiring loom nackered, no it wasn't then it was your ECU is nackered. They keep telling me they have sent the ECU to Triumph Australia in Melbourne but never did and made up excuses as to why. So I told them I will pick the bike up in a few weeks and to have it running like it was to ride the 150 ks back. So what I'm looking for is a Rocket 3 Touring ECU from a wreck, rare as rocking horse **** in Australia, plenty of Roadster and Classic ECU's, which are a different tune to the Tourer and won't work too well I assume. Any ECU's for the Rocker Tourer laying around maybe.
YOU need a real tuner and all your problems will be solved as the R3T ecu can be tuned to make the same power etc . as the other ROCKETS

where to start
just because his scanner does not communicate does not mean u have a bad computer only means he can not bring up the info or it is an excuse not to fix it.
i am late responding to this so by now i hope u have the tunecu and the cable. it is a trick to get the tunecu to communicate so if it does not u will not know if it is your method or the computer.
also the obd connector has a positive and neg pin there may be a problem with the pins for example when there is a problem with the ground pin i substitute an extra wire to the ground on the obd connector so i can get the info. if u r having a problem with the pins / wiring when u change the computer u will have the same problem after and that will be a bummer.:(
now your prob may be cracked vacuum hoses from the back of the throttle bodies to the map sensors or rubber plugs/hoses to fuel canister. also w/o running open throttle and let it snap back a few times.
i have a customer will have to go ask any questions u want maybe i or someone can help there r a lot of savvy guys on here. the others have also gave u good advice. hth herman

Back