Rocket 3 pulling a camping trailer

Jerry Brink

Standard Bore
Ride
BMW r100rt
Fellow Triumph fans,

I currently own a 2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture which I have enjoyed pulling a Quick Kamp trailer. However, it is now time to move on to a newer motorcycle.

Do any of you have experience pulling a camping trailer, 250-280lbs, with a standard Rocket 3, not the tourning model, however. I would later add a windshield, back rest, cruise control, but no bags.

While no doubt the power would be terriffic, I am more concerned in any handling issues or mechanical concerns such as clutch, transmission, or rear drive-line issues.

The other bikes I have considered are the Honda FB6 or Moto Guzzi California 1400, but have for many years looked for reasons to purchase a Rocket 3.

Thank you for your time.....Jerry

STRIPES and Hanso should be along promptly to fill you in Jerry.

In the meantime, welcome to the site from New Jersey.

It is recommended that you introduce yourself properly over in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. Don't forget to tell us a little about yourself and where you hail from.;)

Wouldn't pulling a trailer with a motor be like taking a bath in your underwear?
Works - but not nearly as pleasurable or effective.
:p:laugh:

I pull a trailer with my Touring, with a full cooler and such, I'm sure it's 250-300 lbs, you would never know it was behind you, literally, I've run 80+ on the thruway, and kept up with people in the twisties who were riding fairly spiritedly (is that a word, spellcheck likes it?), I can't imagine a standard or roadster being much different.

Hello Jerry and welcome from VA. I spoke with a trailer towing R3T fellow at Sturgis this year. His weighs more than you are talking about. It is a converted box about 3' wide, 6' long and 2' deep. He carries all his goodies inside and his tent and awning on top. Says he never knows it is there.

I have a Camper (just couple of little mods and the kitchen sink) that weighs about 500kg or around 1,000lb and the Rocket tows it with Ease, I just have to be aware of it being there allow extra time for braking etc, as wrecka mentioned I have a magnetic retardation system which eases the pressure needed by the bikes brakes these can not lock up so will not cause a jack knife I have also fitted the same system to Mals (@The Kiwi) camper it is reasonably easy to do as long as you are a reasonably good welder as there are some exact lining up to be done with the mod.
My first advice thou would be to make sure you have a Good Secure Towing Hitch and if you have not towed before borrow a smaller trailer first and get used to it as Campers are much larger and really should only be towed by someone with experience at towing, I say this as when going in to and exiting service station driveway the action of transitioning over the bumps and change in levels can make the trailer try and rear steer you if you are not ready, otherwise as long as your 360 degree coupling is kept properly lubes and spins freely all should be good. I ride at much the same speeds as I would otherwise out on the open road but use extra precaution around built up areas where Tin tops can come out of nowhere.
One last piece of Advice is that Loading the Camper or trailer has to be done properly so as to keep at least 15 - 20% of trailer weight on tow hitch and have good quality shocks with good damping in them to prevent the rear wallowing on after hitting a bump in fast sweepers or otherwise (probably more sensible) ride slower and with more care to avoid bumps in corners and sweepers, but good Shocks will make the whole towing experience better

I have a Camper (just couple of little mods and the kitchen sink) that weighs about 500kg or around 1,000lb and the Rocket tows it with Ease, I just have to be aware of it being there allow extra time for braking etc, as wrecka mentioned I have a magnetic retardation system which eases the pressure needed by the bikes brakes these can not lock up so will not cause a jack knife I have also fitted the same system to Mals (@The Kiwi) camper it is reasonably easy to do as long as you are a reasonably good welder as there are some exact lining up to be done with the mod.
My first advice thou would be to make sure you have a Good Secure Towing Hitch and if you have not towed before borrow a smaller trailer first and get used to it as Campers are much larger and really should only be towed by someone with experience at towing, I say this as when going in to and exiting service station driveway the action of transitioning over the bumps and change in levels can make the trailer try and rear steer you if you are not ready, otherwise as long as your 360 degree coupling is kept properly lubes and spins freely all should be good. I ride at much the same speeds as I would otherwise out on the open road but use extra precaution around built up areas where Tin tops can come out of nowhere.
One last piece of Advice is that Loading the Camper or trailer has to be done properly so as to keep at least 15 - 20% of trailer weight on tow hitch and have good quality shocks with good damping in them to prevent the rear wallowing on after hitting a bump in fast sweepers or otherwise (probably more sensible) ride slower and with more care to avoid bumps in corners and sweepers, but good Shocks will make the whole towing experience better

Good dope, M8 for those interested in towing. I'd like to see a pix of you set up all ready for the road?

You mentioned, "I have a magnetic retardation system". I wish to thank you for explaining what it is that causes your retardation!
Perhaps something to do with the upside down reverse magnetic polarity of OZ???
:eek: :p :D

Back