Rocket 3 GT power port to a Battery charger/tender?

cmintegra

.020 Over
Ride
2020 rocket 3 GT
Hello Folks, it's a pleasure to be here!

I have one (maybe newbie's) question: can we use the port on the left of the windscreen's base to connect a battery charger/tender for storage of the Bike or should we go straight to the battery itself with the usual Industry standard 2-pole SAE connector?

If that connector is live all the time, I assume that's also fuse protected and maybe with a SAE to 12v DIN plug cable we can connect the battery charger when needed and without having a "pigtail" hanging around connected to the battery...

thanks for the advice

Attachments

• 20201207_152236~2.jpg
    20201207_152236~2.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 144
Hello Folks, it's a pleasure to be here!

I have one (maybe newbie's) question: can we use the port on the left of the windscreen's base to connect a battery charger/tender for storage of the Bike or should we go straight to the battery itself with the usual Industry standard 2-pole SAE connector?

If that connector is live all the time, I assume that's also fuse protected and maybe with a SAE to 12v DIN plug cable we can connect the battery charger when needed and without having a "pigtail" hanging around connected to the battery...

thanks for the advice
Hi cmintegra,

unfortunately no, with the ignition off the port is isolated from the battery, so it cannot be used to attach a battery tender, its use is to supply 12v for accessories while the ignition is on.

Hi cmintegra,

unfortunately no, with the ignition off the port is isolated from the battery, so it cannot be used to attach a battery tender, its use is to supply 12v for accessories while the ignition is on.
oh, man... that settles the issue with a K.O. blow... pigtail around it is then!!! thanks for your advice!

oh, man... that settles the issue with a K.O. blow... pigtail around it is then!!! thanks for your advice!
i feel your pain, i went down the same path, as the sales guy told me when i bought the R3 the port could be used for charging, after buying the connector and hooking up the the tender.....nothing.... so checked the port with a voltmeter, only active when the bike is on. so pigtail from battery for me as well.

i feel your pain, i went down the same path, as the sales guy told me when i bought the R3 the port could be used for charging, after buying the connector and hooking up the the tender.....nothing.... so checked the port with a voltmeter, only active when the bike is on. so pigtail from battery for me as well.
Yes my friend, my GT is already stored at the dealer until this frozen tundra melts a bit in 3 more months (at least...) with the battery out, but I was hoping that our fellow Brits could consider using that impecable port for storage too when designed it. This bike is so neat and stylish that getting her like my old (but also loved) V-Rod VRSCR which has that awful cable hanging around was unthinkable, but like many other things nowadays "it is what it is". Enjoy your warm weather down there. Ride safe!

It is indeed a + 12v after contact, so it does not go. It's easy to install from the battery, with good cable routing and the waterproof plug (Ultimat example) barely visible behind the side cover. and accessible once the left footrest is unfolded

And the Owners Handbook tells you it's permanently live!

Maybe Triumph don't know?????
That's exactly the starting point of my initial hope that it would work also as a charging port for the battery, but maybe they have a technical reason for that and the people who wrote the manual didn't get the memo! ;)

Back