Rob's dyno Gardner Mass

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
I talked with Rob today about tuning with Tune ECU. He has tuned engines with Tune ECU directly for engines 2013 and prior. Apparently from 2014 forward, Triumph has manipulated the maps so they are not as easy to tune and or possible to tune from Tune ECU.

Apparently, Nels at TwoWheelDynoWorks, has figured something out and others have too, I believe.

@Claviger please take note of this. Maybe Rob could have a discussion with Nels and get the scoop on what's really the case.

Rob is willing to tune with tune ECU, has done it and will do it, if he feels he can get past the kink Triumph has put into their newer machines.

Hoopla

I think there's some miscommunication about the changes. I hope this helps clarify it.

2004-2013.5 ECUs - Tunes are cross compatible.
2014-2018 ECUs- Tunes are cross compatible.
For ALL of the tunes, you can copy and paste the tables into different base tunes and use them between models/years without issue.

Example:
Copy all the info into a 20355 tune and paste it into a 20773 tune, overwriting the tables in the 20773 tune. This will allow a tune developed on an earlier bike to be used in a later ECU, no issues, have done this many times.

STIPULATION: At one point in the tune history, Triumph changed the RPM scale, you cannot easily transfer between the two. It just doesn't play nice.

All rockets are 100% unlocked ECUs from the factory, TuneECU is fully functional on all of them, just the Base Tune version e.g. 20355/20773/etc differs and must match the appropriate year of the ECU in question.

Regarding tuning 2014+ bikes, Triumph, in all their wisdom did some fubar stuff with the secondary throttles at high rpm and fueling to match. In order to make it work, you need to add a LOT of fuel over the stock tables to remove the lean swing at high RPM.

I think there's some miscommunication about the changes. I hope this helps clarify it.

2004-2013.5 ECUs - Tunes are cross compatible.
2014-2018 ECUs- Tunes are cross compatible.
For ALL of the tunes, you can copy and paste the tables into different base tunes and use them between models/years without issue.

Example:
Copy all the info into a 20355 tune and paste it into a 20773 tune, overwriting the tables in the 20773 tune. This will allow a tune developed on an earlier bike to be used in a later ECU, no issues, have done this many times.

STIPULATION: At one point in the tune history, Triumph changed the RPM scale, you cannot easily transfer between the two. It just doesn't play nice.

All rockets are 100% unlocked ECUs from the factory, TuneECU is fully functional on all of them, just the Base Tune version e.g. 20355/20773/etc differs and must match the appropriate year of the ECU in question.

Regarding tuning 2014+ bikes, Triumph, in all their wisdom did some fubar stuff with the secondary throttles at high rpm and fueling to match. In order to make it work, you need to add a LOT of fuel over the stock tables to remove the lean swing at high RPM.

I concur with the above, there are no lockouts.

There are parts of the fueling that Tune ECU cannot access though, but would be nice to get into...

I was told the Rockets come locked from Hinckley, but the dealerships unlock them or they will not run. I'm guessing it is a way to keep shipments from being stolen... as if the Rocket market is that large

I was told the Rockets come locked from Hinckley, but the dealerships unlock them or they will not run. I'm guessing it is a way to keep shipments from being stolen... as if the Rocket market is that large

This is a true statement, in fact, all Triumph ECUs are shipped locked from what I understand, unlocked at the dealer.

Back