Pete

Life's a Beach
Ride
2011 Roadster
I've been looking at options to upgrade my 2011 roadster breaks without much success.

I've looked at Artrax and Galfer for wave rotors however they don't list the rocket in their product catalogue, I've also looked at Pretech for 6 pot calipers but their online store has been down for over a week which suggests they may be having some business issues.

I'm looking for advice from anyone that's replaced there front rotors with aftermarket wave rotors to improve breaking performance and any info on Pretech. (sent Pretech an email last week and no reply).

Answers to brand, price and performance info questions would be great.

Thanks in advance
Pete

Thanks Tripps,
I'll pursue this option.

I've heard that Artrax have a rotor that fits however it is marketed as a rotor for the Daytona (955 triple) and is 5.5mm thick which is slightly slimmer than the 6mm rocket rotor.

Pete

Yes, there's a small thickness difference. Otherwise they will fit perfectly.

How much the reduction in mass will make a difference is hard to say, if any, but extra mass will help it absorb more energy (as heat).

If there were any issues I'd expect the issue to show up as either accelerated pad wear or, worst case, a warped rotor.

It's very difficult to say if they'd warp, I know I've absolutely hammered my stock Daytona brakes+HH sintered pads on track without issue or fade, but that's about a 360lb lighter bike so...

Yes, there's a small thickness difference. Otherwise they will fit perfectly.

How much the reduction in mass will make a difference is hard to say, if any, but extra mass will help it absorb more energy (as heat).

If there were any issues I'd expect the issue to show up as either accelerated pad wear or, worst case, a warped rotor.

It's very difficult to say if they'd warp, I know I've absolutely hammered my stock Daytona brakes+HH sintered pads on track without issue or fade, but that's about a 360lb lighter bike so...

Thanks Claviger,
If I paint my usual scenario of 2 up riding with luggage at 473lb (215kg) plus bike traveling downhill in twisties and pulling on the anchors late at say 50mph (80kmh) to take on a 24mph (40kmh) corner. I can handle the pad wear I just need to feel I'm going to stay on the road :)

Which pads are you using? If you're on HH sintered now, there's a Brembo manufactured pad that's more aggressive, but it's like $150 for a set of 4 pads.

I'm not sure vee or wave rotors are going to give you what you're after.

Using the same pads more pistons is going to actually hurt initial bite (more piston area to the same MC = less force, and more sliding friction with more pistons), prevent fade (larger pad), and ultimately do a sum total of not much really.

The Nissin 4 pots are quite good, theqyve beqeqn usaeqqd across a whole slew of high power bikes, if you want more initial bite I would actually suggest a master cylinder upgrade to a larger piston (first check that your bike has a 5/8ths MC, stamped on it somewhere). It will give you more pressure per mm of lever pull, but the trade off is feel will slightly fall off since brake modulation adjustments are so much smaller.

Brembo makes an adjustable that is both expensive and amazingly strong.

All that to say, I can comfortably 1 or 2 finger brake on my stock setup +HH pads, though I'm only hauling down 900lbs, so the extra load may totally change that.

Which pads are you using? If you're on HH sintered now, there's a Brembo manufactured pad that's more aggressive, but it's like $150 for a set of 4 pads.

I'm not sure vee or wave rotors are going to give you what you're after.

Using the same pads more pistons is going to actually hurt initial bite (more piston area to the same MC = less force, and more sliding friction with more pistons), prevent fade (larger pad), and ultimately do a sum total of not much really.

The Nissin 4 pots are quite good, theqyve beqeqn usaeqqd across a whole slew of high power bikes, if you want more initial bite I would actually suggest a master cylinder upgrade to a larger piston (first check that your bike has a 5/8ths MC, stamped on it somewhere). It will give you more pressure per mm of lever pull, but the trade off is feel will slightly fall off since brake modulation adjustments are so much smaller.

Brembo makes an adjustable that is both expensive and amazingly strong.

All that to say, I can comfortably 1 or 2 finger brake on my stock setup +HH pads, though I'm only hauling down 900lbs, so the extra load may totally change that.

I'm using the oem sintered pads supplied by my local dealer, from memory they are HH.
I see your point regarding reduced surface friction resulting from less surface area.
I'm not looking for initial bite, rather an exponential reduction in braking distance as more lever is applied.
At the moment I have no real increase in speed reduction between 60% to 90% lever travel

Back